MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
NFLNative
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brisket too fast? Neesd help

I have a 10lb brisket on my WSM and after 3 hours the meat temp is at 158 degrees. I'm cooking at 250. Why is it getting hot so fast or this normal?
NFLNative is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

It may be normal. Have you double checked the temp at the grate?

It is at or reaching the plateau temp. It will hang out around 160 to 170 for quite a while before the temp goes up much higher.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Burk
Got Wood.

I've got one on the drum that was 154 at 3 hours. The temp rise should slow down or stall while the fat and connective tissue break down. Mines been on 5 hrs now and it's still 159. Normally I don't open the lid to check the temps this early in the cook, but I picked up a remote thermometer at Wallyworld yesterday. New toys

Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

That is normal. Every time I cook big pieces of meat I get concerned with the fast rise in temp early on. Then as time goes by, worry about the slowness of temp change and will it be done on time? 14 hours later, deliciousness!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
NFLNative
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks, hopefully I won't be cooking for 14 hours. I hoping to be done in 12

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I will tell you this for the first time and others for the 300th time. It does not make a difference how fast it reaches the stall point.... (microwave excluded - actually... microwaved pressure cooked its fine)

The best brisket in Texas according to the state legislature is God damn grilled just about, then its moved to slower cooking (250) after about 4 hours and at times it either rests in a pile or is placed in a sausage smoker to rest.

As long as the time spent smoking allows for smoke penetration (which we all know there is a point a brisket will no longer take any more smoke) and there is an adequate slow down after the stall (whether it cooks from its own heat and rests its way down, or you slow it down... you are good.

Your mistake will be what you do whenever your brisket says "I am Done." or I am "Nearly Done." NOT ANY DAMN INTERNAL TEMP saying its done but your brisket saying its done.

Allow me to make an example everyone can relate to: as anyone who has ever had to knock of a chunk of your sweet-assed 17 year old cousin while your wife unknowingly watches the kids, knowing at any time you could be caught, well... like a brisket, each hot cousin you have has a different "done" point when you are probing and poking them. Also like a brisket... when your cousin is "done" you you don't need to spend time cuddling and telling her how good she was... you pull her off the tree stump you leaned her against and throw her her clothes and git!

LOL

BBQchef33; Edited to remove word censor over-rides.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
NFLNative
Knows what a fatty is.

Too funny. I wrapped it at 165 and it dropped back to 160. An hour later it is only 163

Old 07-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Mod Note : The example at the end of Donnie's reply may be seen as informative & humorous or questionable & troubling to some (though I do believe the age of consent in most states is 17...check with your local authorities). The content will stand but a few off topic replies have been removed questioning it to ensure this thread stays on topic of brisket cooking.
Thanks
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 07-25-2010 at 04:40 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
chambersuac

Although Donnie said it in a much different way than I would have, I gotta admit he's right - about the brisket, anyway.

Hope your brisket turns out great! Let us know.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Mod Note : The example at the end of Donnie's reply may be seen as informative & humorous or questionable & troubling to some (though I do believe the age of consent in most states is 17...check with your local authorities). The content will stand but a few off topic replies have been removed questioning it to ensure this thread stays on topic of brisket cooking.
Thanks
You haven't seen the cousin either!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
NFLNative
Knows what a fatty is.

well after 10 and 1/2 hours I hit 200 degrees, took it off and let it rest for another 3 hours. It was a little dry but the flavor was great. This was my 5th brisket and I'm still trying to make one as good as the 2nd one I cooked.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

hmmm okay... so... lets see.... 200, dry... next one... 185... not done enough... next one... 200 perfect... next one.... 200.. dry... what the fark man... next one.... 195.... needs more time... pull at 205... perfect...okay next one.... 205... dry... dammit.... next one 201.... dry...chit.... next one.... uh...uh... 185.... dry! what? next one... 180... dammit its not tender.... next one 190... perfect... next one... 190... perfect.....next one 190...dry..... sonofbyatch!!!! next one.... boiled... perfect.... next one boiled... dry>>>> what???

Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
Willie's BBQ
Banned

[QUOTE=barbefunkoramaque;1347851]

Allow me to make an example everyone can relate to: as anyone who has ever had to knock of a chunk of your sweet-assed 17 year old cousin while your wife unknowingly watches the kids, knowing at any time you could be caught,

i'm gonna go out on the limb and say that most of us are not into incest
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Boshizzle

Everyone isn't, that's for sure. But I have heard of places where pumpkin isn't just a vegetable.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=89188

Post 8

"...i will refrain from having sex with my 17 year old neice..."

Willy's BBQ

Heck we were talking cousins man... a niece... well... I'd refrain from that man if I were you too.

[QUOTE=Willie's BBQ;1348364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

Allow me to make an example everyone can relate to: as anyone who has ever had to knock of a chunk of your sweet-assed 17 year old cousin while your wife unknowingly watches the kids, knowing at any time you could be caught,

i'm gonna go out on the limb and say that most of us are not into incest