MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
davefan360
Take a breath!

Default chicken wings in a comp?

I don't like thighs, I can cook them but I just don't like them. I know I can do wings but has anyone done them with ok results? Just an idea.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I asked this once before and the vast majority said they didn't know anyone who consistently did well with chicken wings.

I LOVE my wings versus thighs or breasts also, but I guess they just don't stand up in comps for whatever reason.

I'm just an amateur competitor so maybe some of the more seasoned folks will chime in also though.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
davefan360
Take a breath!

my view on it is, if the judges are getting thighs from 90% of the teams some wings might be a nice change. but what do I know. maybe I will have to try it one time and see where we stand when the dust clears.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
EMTTLC
On the road to being a farker

I've cooked wings at a number of comps with the intention of turning them in. Each time I back out for one reason or an other and go with the old stand by- thighs. I'm just kinda chicken, pardon the pun. I've judged 14 KCBS comps and only seen a handful of wings turned in, none of them were very good. I still believe that a good wing has just as good a chance as anything else. This weekend, it's thighs alone, but next weekend I'm thinking of giving the wings a shot again
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm doing wings all season this year. I've only done two contests so far. They finished 11th out of 33 in the first event, 45th out of 47 the second. I don't count the poor finish though because bad weather screwed up my timing and I had a terrible cook on all meats.

I have four more events on the schedule in the fall, so we'll see.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

As a group, judges prefer thighs over wings. You will take a hit on your score with just wings the majority of the time in my experiences.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan360 View Post
I don't like thighs, I can cook them but I just don't like them. I know I can do wings but has anyone done them with ok results? Just an idea.
First, what you like has nothing to do with competition BBQ

Second, There's no reason why perfectly cooked and seasoned ribs wouldn't do well, but there is much less leeway with wings. Thighs, since they are fattier, have are more forgiving.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
davefan360
Take a breath!

thanks. I think I am going to cook some and then do a back up just in case. the comp is next weekend so I will let you know what happens.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
davefan360
Take a breath!

but I thought the judges were only supposed to judge what was in the box, not what they want to see in the box. I know this has going around and around. so I have do what some thighs and wings. and see what I turn in come 12 O'clock,

Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
but I thought the judges were only supposed to judge what was in the box, not what they want to see in the box.
True, but not all judges follow that.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
nthole
Babbling Farker

I can cook AMAZING wings. And never was more than 3 from DAL. Feel free to cook them. Expect to lose though.

Like Ronelle said. It ain't about you, it's about dem judges.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
but I thought the judges were only supposed to judge what was in the box, not what they want to see in the box. I know this has going around and around. so I have do what some thighs and wings. and see what I turn in come 12 O'clock,
True, but I have gotten wings in the box on the few occasions when I judge instead of cook. I didn't mark it down for being a wing. I DID mark it down for flavor and mouth feel though. The flavor was OK, and I might have liked it better if there was MORE of it, but biting a drumstick just doesn't deliver the goods the way a thigh does. It's just too small to fill your mouth with chicken-y goodness. <<insert comment about my big mouth here>>

Judges shouldn't hold it against you for putting in a wing, but they will judge the entry as an overall BBQ experience, and in that regard I just think it's hard to deliver that whole experience to the judge with a small piece of meat.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
peterz
On the road to being a farker

Myself as a KCBS judge I would love to see some wings in the box. But then
again, its just me.............

Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
True, but I have gotten wings in the box on the few occasions when I judge instead of cook. I didn't mark it down for being a wing. I DID mark it down for flavor and mouth feel though. The flavor was OK, and I might have liked it better if there was MORE of it, but biting a drumstick just doesn't deliver the goods the way a thigh does. It's just too small to fill your mouth with chicken-y goodness. <<insert comment about my big mouth here>>

Judges shouldn't hold it against you for putting in a wing, but they will judge the entry as an overall BBQ experience, and in that regard I just think it's hard to deliver that whole experience to the judge with a small piece of meat.
This is SO true.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104716

the pictures are gone, but here's a pretty informative thread from a bit back regarding.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote