i need an idea

M

mjancel

my offset cooker is about 50 deg cooler on the farside from the box. i would like to get that closer in temp. i tried putting defuiser plates in but that had little effect. on things.

option 1 rebuild firebox and relocate. a: directly to the pit and make a reverse flow.... will that bring up the temp?

option 2 rebuild the fire box and move it to the back and middle of the cooking chamber, and if i did that i dont even know what side to put the exhaust on.

option 3 just try a bigger exhaust?
i want to be able to cook a pig in it, nascar style with out having to turn the pig all the time.

Attachments

• pig 001.jpg
    pig 001.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 107
  • pig 011.jpg
    pig 011.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 107
  • pig 008.jpg
    pig 008.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 107
Because it appears your cooker is long, I would move the firebox to the rear.

A bigger fire box where it's at know will creat a really hot spot near it.

OR................

It appears you have two pipes from your fire box into the cooking chamber.

Maybe you can run one of those pipes behind the cooker to the center.

Wassup man, This pit has been giving you problems from the start right? I haven't gone back to check your other posts but if my memory serves me right (and sometimes it doesn't, so forgive me if I'm wrong) you made that out of compressor tanks joined together which can tend to be on the thin side. If your steel is not thick enough to hold the heat in your pit, with a pit of that length no matter what you do with a firebox on the far end of it you will always have heat fall off. Have you tried insulating the pit somehow? I don't really know what to tell you. Sorry.

Cheers

Mount it in the back middle and add another stack to the end.

How far do your 2 intake tubes extend into the smokebox?
An inexpensive experiment would be to get some sheet metal chimney pipe that is able to either fit over the outside diameter of your forward intake tube--or fit tightly inserted into the inside diameter of the tube. Run this sheet metal chimney the length of your firebox and cap off the end. Figure out the surface of the intake and cut 4 or five smaller holes in the side of the chimney metal that together equal the surface area of the original intake. This equal amount of air opening will cause both intakes to flow evenly, and the small holes will delay entry of the smoke into the smoking chamber and create more even heat throughout the chamber. If this experiment works, then you could hard plumb it the same way.

if it's not at grate level I'd drop the exhaust....and if the air intake on the firebox isnt large enuff you won't get good airflow. you could use a pit calculator and take measurements to make sure it's all sized right.

Turn it into a reverse flow. Your uneven temps will no longer be a problem. Insulating it will make it more efficient, but will not necessarily make the temps even from one end to the other. The heat and smoke wants to rise as soon as it comes out the burn box, the only way to get it to the other end is with a full length baffle and then draw the heat/smoke back toward the fire box and accross the meat by moving your smokestack back right above the burn box. I had a similar problem as you do until I turned mine into a reverse flow.

Wassup man, This pit has been giving you problems from the start right? I haven't gone back to check your other posts but if my memory serves me right (and sometimes it doesn't, so forgive me if I'm wrong) you made that out of compressor tanks joined together which can tend to be on the thin side. If your steel is not thick enough to hold the heat in your pit, with a pit of that length no matter what you do with a firebox on the far end of it you will always have heat fall off. Have you tried insulating the pit somehow? I don't really know what to tell you. Sorry.

Cheers
ur right in a away . i am able to use it i just want to get my temps even out. i have had some problems with heat flow.but slowly getting them work out. i cooked a 100# pig. i just had to keep spinng it.. i did not try insulating the pit. i think i am going to build a new firebox and make it a reverse flow. i just need to figure out the rite size and how big to make the opening from the box to the cooker

Do a search on the net for Pit ratio calculator plug in the numbers and it will give ya what ya need.

Back