Question About Seafood Allergies

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am going to be serving shrimp for a Lenten special for the next six weeks. My question is if I grill the shrimp, can a person with a shellfish allergy have a reaction if something that is not shellfish is cooked on the same grill?

I am going to use my panini grill, cooking at 320*F and need to know if there will be any residual allergens on the grill.

I can not specifically relate to a shellfish allergy, but I can to pork. I can NOT eat anything that has been cooked where pork has been cooked. So with that, I would I would say that it would be the same for shellfish.

I can handle pork with no problem, I just can NOT consume it in any way. That includes any other food that is cooked where the pork was, or with the utensils that cooked the pork. Any carry over of the pork, with the grease being the main thing being carried over, it will cross contaminate the other food.

I would not risk it myself.... unless you do what I do. I use two cookers, two sets of cooking utensils, and two tables. Every item is designated to what I am cooking.... hope this helps.

Seafood allergy could be anything from a mild case of hives to full blown anaphylaxis. With allergys on the rise and the Yellow Pages full of hungry lawyers it would be unwise not to separate the seafoods form the rest.

We were taught in ServSafe class to avoid any possibility of cross contamination to prevent people with seafood allergies being affected. So, if deep frying seafood and chicken, use separate fryers. If grilling, use separate surfaces. Not worth the legal hassles or the bad publicity.

Back