MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Graytwhyte
Knows what a fatty is.

Default lazy Q mod

Maybe it's just me, but trying to tend a fire is tough while it's pouring down rain. So I am thinking about a lazy q mod for days like this. Looking in the mods file I only see the permanent version of the lazy q mod. What was the other style of burner that you just set in and doesn't require any drilling? Maybe from Brinkmann??? Thanks for the help, TIMBO.
Graytwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Timbo, I think the burner out of a turkey fryer is the one commonly used for a temporary installation. You can buy the components (burner and Hose regulator assy) from Brinkmann or just go buy a fryer kit at wal-mart. Fryers are the cats ass for lighting chimney's of fuel when you want to cook normal and the burner comes right out for when you want to set it up in the fire box. You'll need to fashion a small stand (bend a piece of metal strap into a u-shape) for the burner as it has a bolt coming out of the bottom of it, and a small pipe extension to go between the burner and lp hose are all that's required. Been considering this for winter cooks and brisket overnighters myself. Let us know if you try this how it comes out.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

look in the bandera 101 document. I use a ring burner from a turkey fryer setup i got at costco. It comes off its stand real easy and has small legs to sit on. Take the hose off and pass it thru the damper and hook it back up. Real easy mod. Also, when I used that burner the first time, even though it was on low it made my firebox lid glow red. What I did to defeat that is but the firegrate back in above the burner and put a load of lava rock on top of the firegrate over the burner. Even added a few chunks over the lava rock to give off some smoke. Worked like a charm.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Timbo, I hear your pain

I got the WSM for lazy Q mod, and just invested a whole $12 in a dining tent (canopy) thats 12'x12' for the fourth.

The rain is coming donw big time further north of you, but besides a burner like Phils suggests, a charcoal basket might also be in order.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
Graytwhyte
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got the charcoal basket, and the baffle, and I even just finished putting in the door gasket last weekend. I just had a hell of a time getting things going today. Got things finishing up in the oven now, but i think the meat took a beating with the harsh weather today. Bill, I hear you on the canopy. I just lack the space for something that large. I did end up running over to a friends and borrowing his patio umbrella and bungee corded it to a nearby brick wall to cover things. I had some ribs, a butt, several brats, and a whole brisket. Hope everything turns out well. Anyone know how much the equip for this mod costs? Thanks for the help. Good luck with the weather.
Graytwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Bills right.. i'd always go with the charcoal basket concept over propane. Still neeeds a little tending, but its better than goin every hour. WSM is by all means the ultimate Lazy Q... set it and you have 8-9 hours of rock steady 230.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Bills right.. i'd always go with the charcoal basket concept over propane. Still neeeds a little tending, but its better than goin every hour. WSM is by all means the ultimate Lazy Q... set it and you have 8-9 hours of rock steady 230.
The WSM has been at 213 for 4 hours

Taking a beef log fatty wrapped in bacon off in about 30 minutes

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 03:49 PM   #8
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

I once converted a woodburning stove to propane. I know you dont want to drill but this is pretty easy.

get a foot or so of black steel pipe threaded on both ends.

cap one end and get whatever fittings are needed to adapt the other end down small enough to fit to a propane hose.

drill 1/8' inch holes about 1'' apart down both sides of the pipe.

stick it in the fire box and light her up.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I once converted a woodburning stove to propane. I know you dont want to drill but this is pretty easy.

get a foot or so of black steel pipe threaded on both ends.

cap one end and get whatever fittings are needed to adapt the other end down small enough to fit to a propane hose.

drill 1/8' inch holes about 1'' apart down both sides of the pipe.

stick it in the fire box and light her up.
And if you fark up, you will only launch great Q over the neighbor hood!

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote