MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #46
Zed
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Zed

Thanks for the pic. I assume you welded a piece of flat stock around the perimeter? Also I have a chance to get a sheet of 1in expanded steel for 30 bucks. It seems 2 big for charcoal though, anyone got some thoughts on this? That being said I had an idea today for a charcoal basket, a weber little smokey. It has legs and a vent at the bottom and it's build to withstand heat from charcoal. Couldn't I just take the lid off and place it in the bottom of the smoker? Would it hold enough charcoal? They cost 30 bucks and that's what a grate and 2 pieces of expanded steel costs. What do you guys think?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #47
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

It is flat stock welded around the edge. I guess the little smokey might work, only 1 way to find out. Not sure it will hold enough charcoal for a long cook. The baskets I make are using the charcoal rack from a 22.5 Weber with 9" tall expanded metal welded to it and 3" legs. It will hold 20 lbs of Kingsford charcoal.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #48
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
a weber little smokey. It has legs and a vent at the bottom and it's build to withstand heat from charcoal. Couldn't I just take the lid off and place it in the bottom of the smoker? Would it hold enough charcoal? They cost 30 bucks and that's what a grate and 2 pieces of expanded steel costs. What do you guys think?
I believe the bottom holes will fill up with ash and your fire/coals will go out. Enough coal for how many hrs/temp?
But give it a go.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #49
kls44
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ken

Forget the smoky joe unless you want to make a mini smoker. You will only get about 7-8hrs. before the ashes choke it out. Get the charcoal grate for a 22.5" Weber grill and some expanded metal. You may be able to find a cutoff piece at a metal fabricator for cheap. Make some clips from a wire coat hanger to attach the ends together and to the grate. Mine is 12" tall and have done 3 cooks of 8hrs.+ on one fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1567.jpg (161.7 KB, 60 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #50
Zed
Got Wood.

I've not come across any other threads or pics of one like this. I took a 20 lb propane tank and cut the top off. Then I layed out 3/4 inch holes every 1.5 inches with an alternating pattern. I cut the bottom out but left the original foot and dropped in a Weber little Smokey charcoal grate. This in total cost me 8 dollars. I got the old tank for free. It seems to burn wood like a champ. It measures 11.25 wide by 13 tall. I'm curious if anyone else has done this. I will add an ash pan and a handle tomorrow. What do you guy's think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180317_200322b.jpg (28.3 KB, 35 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #51
Zed
Got Wood.

Ok so this is the finished product. I decided to use the top that I cut off as an ash pan. I had some threaded rod laying around and I cut three legs out of it. I welded them to the foot that I left on the bottom of the tank. Then I drilled three holes thought the soon to be ash pan and tack welded it to the rod. Then I added a handle from a old busted 5 gallon drum I had laying around. I really like how this turned out. Now I just hope it burns long enough for a good cook. If not then I guess I got a little portable cooker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180318_173101c.jpg (45.0 KB, 24 views)