MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Wagyu Beef.......Its Gotta Go Mainstream Eventually Right?????

Are these cattle more expensive to raise? More than Angus, or Hereford, or any other breed of cattle? I'm sure that alot of it has to do with the rancher's access to breeding stock, but I refuse to believe that the big time cattle farmers could not get them if they wanted to.

Anyone with knowledge about the cattle industry care to weigh in?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

They are more expensive to raise. They are fed differently, and treated much differently.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
They are more expensive to raise. They are fed differently, and treated much differently.
OK, I knew that Kobe Beef Cattle in Japan were raised differently, what with the music, and massaging and Lord knows what else. I guess I thought that Wagyu raised here were ranched pretty much like any other cattle.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a little write up on some of the factors that come into play raising Wagyu beef:

http://www.luciesfarm.com/artman/pub...ticle_39.shtml

Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
OMFGBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

It is the process in which they are raised more so than the breed. The quality of the feed and the attention each animal receives is substantially better than that of the average cow. For example, for a cow to be considered Black Angus, 50% of the cow's hide has to be black, and that's about it. Doesn't matter how it was raised. But most people confuse Black Angus with CAB, which consists of the upper 2/3 of choice graded beef. USDA grading is a whole new subject matter. Hell, Waygu/Kobe cows in Japan are massaged daily by the farmhands and bottle fed beer.

Lang 60 Deluxe w/ Chargrill
Custom Carolina Grills 3x5 Offset
Southern Pride SC-200
TEC Searmaster
Weber Kettle
Traeger Lil' Texas Elite
OMFGBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Best beef I ever ate was in Costa Rica. Can't even begin to think of how good Waygu could be better.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

The Strube ranch in Texas raises waygu...
http://struberanch.com/index_old.html
The waygu are known for their marbling trait and adding grain to the feed at an early age helps.
I've not tried Strube beef but hear that it is excellent!
Brethren Big Poppa sells it online.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Best beef I ever ate was in Costa Rica. Can't even begin to think of how good Waygu could be better.

Same here! Can't remember the name of the place, but I got a recommendation from the Thorn Tree travel site and it was a steak lovers paradise on a cattle ranch with the Arenal volcano in the distance.

I can go to almost any Asian market in the area and Wagyu beef is available, but when I ask for a Brisket they pull out a Choice CAB packer. My meat supplier handles Kobe Beef America and Premier Proteins Kobe, depends what expert on beef you talk to, but they are always in demand.

I'm starting to see more Piedmontese Beef advertised around here.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
buccaneer

Snip>
In the United States, Japanese Wagyu cattle were bred with Angus cattle to create a crossbred animal that would be more able to survive the U.S. climate and ranching methods. The meat of this crossbreed was more marketable to the typical American buyer, for whom the meat of the wagyu cow is "too white".[5] The meat of the crossbreed provides the balance of marbling and red meat desired by them. This crossbreed has been named American Style Kobe Beef.[6]
Designed to mimic the diet that Japanese cattle were receiving, Wagyu cattle in the United States are fed a mixture of corn, alfalfa, barley and wheat straw.<

AUstralia has purebred Wagyu and our biggest buyer is Japan.
The USA sells zero Wagyu to Japan.

The truth is, if you have eaten Wagyu" or Kobe beef in the USA, you haven't experienced Wagyu yet.
Also true, the best Wagyu I have forked out for here was half as good as the Wagyu I ate in Japan, but to be honest I haven't bought the expensive prime stuff here and I probably won't.$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Snip>
In the United States, Japanese Wagyu cattle were bred with Angus cattle to create a crossbred animal that would be more able to survive the U.S. climate and ranching methods.

This crossbreed has been named American Style Kobe Beef.[6]
AKA "Wangus"

You're right. The Japanese Wagyu is too white.. it will melt in your mouth..it's delicious..but most americans don't want THAT much marbling/fat content.

The fat on the wagyu also melts at a much lower temperature than other breeds.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Carbon copy carbon copy carbon copy. Its all b.s. is wagyu even regulated at all?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Same here! Can't remember the name of the place, but I got a recommendation from the Thorn Tree travel site and it was a steak lovers paradise on a cattle ranch with the Arenal volcano in the distance.

I can go to almost any Asian market in the area and Wagyu beef is available, but when I ask for a Brisket they pull out a Choice CAB packer. My meat supplier handles Kobe Beef America and Premier Proteins Kobe, depends what expert on beef you talk to, but they are always in demand.

I'm starting to see more Piedmontese Beef advertised around here.
I love Piedmontese!! A friend brought me some locally grown Pied steaks that were killer. He also had one of his corriente roping steers processed into jerky.. lol It was amazing! I wouldn't have thought to eat a corriente.

Red Angus is popular here too... same great marbling feature as the black, they supposedly have better dispositions, which is another thing I appreciate when raising my own beef.

There are a lot of good beef breeds around. Sometimes marketing plays a factor in what sells the best.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
big brother smoke

I have had and can get Australian Waygu. I wonder why the meat is much smaller though?