Qualifier question

Bourbon Barrel BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not that I'll ever run into this problem but are there qualifiers late in the season for the following year or do all of them fall before august for the current year.

Last edited:
The qualifying year runs from September 1 to the following August 31. Both last year and this year, we had qualifiers from the previous calendar year in our total of 7.

Depends on what "qualifiers" you are talking about.

GAB - Calendar Year
Best of the Best - Calendar Year
American Royal - August through July
Jack - September through August
Sam's Club - May 2010 - June 2010 :becky:

Depends on what "qualifiers" you are talking about.

GAB - Calendar Year
Best of the Best - Calendar Year
American Royal - August through July
Jack - September through August
Sam's Club - May 2010 - June 2010 :becky:

Awesome thanks

Not that I'll ever run into this problem but are there qualifiers late in the season for the following year or do all of them fall before august for the current year.

After July 31 it is the following year for the Jack and after August 31 it is the following year for the Royal. Or maybe this is backwards but those are the cutoff dates.

Yeah, you're inside out, Linda :) The Royal qualifying year ends July 31 (this weekend) and the Jack qualifying year ends August 31.

here is another question, is the "Competitors Series" a qualifying contest (such as LPQue2) for the Royal, and or? Jack Daniels

here is another question, is the "Competitors Series" a qualifying contest (such as LPQue2) for the Royal, and or? Jack Daniels

No, I don't believe that Competitor Series contests are qualifiers and neither are KCBS "Licensed" contests.

Newbie question, so please forgive......what are the qualifying standards that you must meet to qualify for the Royal?

Invitational - Win a Grand Champion within the qualifying period
Open - Pay the money for the entry

The Grand Championship must either be a "state championship" with 25 or more teams or 15 or more for first year contests. Any contest with 50+ teams doesn't require the state championship. I think they have rules about what meats have to be cooked or something, but those first two rules are the ones that most consider when deciding which contests to cook to be a qualifier.

The Grand Championship must either be a "state championship" with 25 or more teams or 15 or more for first year contests. Any contest with 50+ teams doesn't require the state championship. I think they have rules about what meats have to be cooked or something, but those first two rules are the ones that most consider when deciding which contests to cook to be a qualifier.

Brisket, chicken, and ribs.

Edit: Now that I'm at a real keyboard.... The Royal and Jack both accept champions from all of the major Texas sanctioning bodies that meet the other requirements. They usually require brisket, chicken (almost always a fully jointed half), and ribs (almost always spares, with no baby back option).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brisket, chicken, and ribs.

Edit: Now that I'm at a real keyboard.... The Royal and Jack both accept champions from all of the major Texas sanctioning bodies that meet the other requirements. They usually require brisket, chicken (almost always a fully jointed half), and ribs (almost always spares, with no baby back option).

The other way to qualify for the Royal Invitational is to win it. :becky:

plowboys.101309.jpg

Back