thirdeye's Tenderquick Cure for Buckboard Bacon

QuietOne

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have my 3rd batch of Pork Tenderloin changing into bacon on the UDS as I type this.

This is the first batch I've deviated from thirdeye's recipe @ Playing with Smoke & Fire - Tender Quick Buckboard Bacon

In the first stage I painted the tenderloins with # 3 Organic Maple Syrup. I turned this 6 times in 24 hours before air drying it to tacky then followed the recipe letting it cure for 10 days in the coldest spot in my fridge. 4C (37F(unny)) .

I'm smoking it over Maple Leaf lump, my total go to lump charcoal, with a couple maple chunks for smoke.

Temperature outside is -25C (- 39C windchill) drum is a tick over 94C (+200F(unny degrees) I checked the temperature on the drum when it got dark at 3pm and danged if it doesn't smell like true back bacon.

Anyone else been painting their buckboard bacon with dark maple syrup? What are your feelings on this? My previous efforts were a bit short of "back bacon" needed more mapley flavour in my opinion but I could be totally wrong.

I'll try to get a picture when all is said and done. I've got a roast to get prepped to put on for some smoke flavouring for a few hours, that I'll finish in the oven later this evening. If the "anti-freeze" doesn't stop me first.

2 Hours On -25C Windchill -39C Drum 200F-220F

minus25CDrum250F.jpg
">
Tenderloin Buckboard Bacon In The Smoke 2 Hours
">

Awhile to go yet.

Last edited:
I got it off the drum and sitting to cool. Yet to get a picture. I think I done froze the batteries dead trying for pictures of the Northern Lights, which I didn't get anyhow. But if the camera thaws before I bag the bacon and/or I'm not over "anti-freezed" I'll grab a pic. I snitched a bite off the end. Best yet I think.

Best bacon yet, the maple syrup paint first is staying as part of my recipe.

Only thing is that two small tenderloins don't last long. I think I'm going to do up 10, take up the bottom rack of the fridge. Least I'd get a weeks worth of bacon. Getting the tenderloins on sale makes the cost about 1/3 - 1/4 of buying a chunk of back bacon.

I've never tried it with tenderloins, only loins. Sounds good!

Looks good. Until now, I didn't realize the maple syrup options were not on my Buckboard page.

One method I've used is to paint some syrup on about halfway through the smoking, and then again about 10 minutes before pulling off the smoker.

Another method is to mix a 50:50 solution of maple syrup and warmed water and inject that into the meat during the second half of the smoke.

Back