First overnight cook, lot of pressure, input requested

SchoonDawg

Reaction score
A regional lifestyle magazine has interviewed me for an article on home smoking and bbqing and are coming to my house on Saturday at 1pm to do a photo-shoot of me cooking some of my favourite recipes. I've got a 7lb bone in pork shoulder and a 6lb boneless chuck. Plan is Mr. Brown for the pork and Pepper Stout Beef for the chuck.

My plan:

- Rub the pork tonight (Thursday) and let it sit overnight
- Rerub the pork Friday evening.
- Start the pork around 11pm @250 in the WSM
- Put the chuck on at 6am in the WSM
- Finish chuckie in my NBBD offset
- Move pork shoulder to offset around 180 internal

I figure that the offset provides a little more exciting visuals for the photoshoot.

I'd like to have the pork done around 11am so it can foil and cooler for a while.

Any glaring problems?

Haven't done an overnight cook yet so I can't help.
But all the best with the interview, can you post the article when it is published. :-D

Are the magazine people gonna be there all night with you or just show up when it's time to eat?

Will post the article in June when the magazine is published.

They are just showing up at 1pm on Saturday to get some shots of end of cooking process and finished product.

The only problem I foresee is it is your 1st time. Not that you do not have a plan but you have not seen the plan in action before. I never try a 1st time cook even when it is just family and friends coming over. Best of luck to you!!!

I love Mr Brown, I used to let the rub sit overnight but lately I've been injecting the night before with a modified Chris Lilly injection then rub in the morning and just before going on the cooker, imo Mr Brown and Mr. Lilly go really well together. Are you foiling the butt at any time during the cook?

Seems to me that I would not move the pork and let them shoot both cookers doing their/your thing. You should be good on the time if your planning on pulling the pork, if your going to slice you can reduce the time that it is on the smoker and forget about foiling. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

I work for a company that hosts about 100+ regional lifestyle magazine websites. From the photos I have seen on these sites, my recommendation is to be spotless, and presentable. When you have the food, take "Food Network" style care of presentation. it could taste like crap, but long as it shoots good, you're good to go!

Back