What size...whole pig (cut in half) in a 22" WSM?

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any guidance?...obviously talking cut across the middle, not lengthways...
1. Would this be possible and, most importantly, what size (bigger is better)?
2. Half top shelf, half bottom shelf?
3. Size without head? Size with head? If I buy one too big, the whole thing gets a bit iffy.
4. Was trying to avoid hanging it, but I suppose its a possibility.
5. Would it be 'racer' style? What other options.
6. I could cut off lower limbs to give more space.
7. If I did cut in half, where would I get the butcher to cut?

I really want to try this... possibly for a mid-winter dinner or a 'Christmas in winter' ... in the coldest part of the year (July), we sometimes have a fake Christmas for fun... having lived in Philly for 10 years, it brings back wonderful memories.

Someone must have tried this...:crazy:

If you are not goping to hang it, then you are probably going to need to split it between top and bottom shelfs. I have a 22.5 inch cooker as well, and by looking at it, i dont think i could get a half hog on just the top grate. Maybe if there was no head and that half was split as well, it might work.

Also, is it really that cold in july in NZ?

thanks

Yes, it gets cold in Auckland, sometimes we even get a frost! :-D Truth is though, in some ways it is colder living in Auckland in winter than Philly because the place is so damp and the houses are poorly designed, poorly insulated and heated... inside, it is distinctly colder in NZ than the US.

Yes, it would be split across the top and bottom shelves. I am thinking maybe... split in half lengthwise, then cut off forequarter and hindquarter so we have three pieces per side, then arrange a side per shelf. Perhaps hang the head from the bottom of the top shelf.

I saw a video on You Tube where the 'star' cooked a whole pig on a WSM. It wasn't a huge pig of course, but he tied the front legs together, tied the back legs together, then lashed the front and back legs together which made the pig's spine bend circularly so it fit quite well. Shouldn't be too hard to find it on You Tube if you'd like to see it yourself.

Back