MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
redbandit98
On the road to being a farker

Default frying first turkey(s) questions

Hey all, I recently aquired a free turkey fryer and have a few questions. I have been reading over some old posts trying to decide if I want to inject it or rub it or whatever. I think im just gonna inject it with some butter mixutre or something simple and go with it. My main question is about the oil. I guess Im going to use peanut oil but was wondering about how many times I can re-use it. I have read 3-4 times. The thing is I dont want to have to deal with storing it etc so I want to cook like 3 turkeys in one cook. I assume this will be ok? Just get all the birds ready to go and cook them one after another that way I can get the most out of my oil before I throw it out.

thanks
matt
redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

That will be fine.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
TangSooDoMan
Got Wood.

Inject it and rub it, fried turkey is the best!
TangSooDoMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd rather store the oil than have to store the turkeys.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I'd rather store the oil than have to store the turkeys.
Me Too

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

it'll take a little work, but if you strain the used oil, it should keep in the frig for 6months or so. Provided you have an extra frig, of course. Storing the turkeys will take a lot of room, and when you reheat it, you won't have that awesome fried turkey skin.

Or even simpler, send me the extra turkeys! I'll "store" them real good.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I bought a very large funnel at.......Gander Mountain I believe with very large..coffee type filters to strain the used oil.

Best bet is to store your used oil in a cool dark place after frying your turkeys.
Also remember that you do not want your oil to get too hot as it will destroy the flavor of your oil with a burnt taste.
A good thermometer that has been tested with boiling water and ice water to check its calibration is another helpfull item.

Good luck on your turkeys tomorrow.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Cheesy video's I put together a few years ago! Maybe they will help! Click the photo's for a good laugh!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Personally for Fried Turkey, I simply Rub the bird down liberally with Salt Pepper and garlic and go to the oil. I've injected, rubbed, brined, etc... Never had a better turkey Deep Fried than the basics.

As for making multiples, I did three turkeys in one pot for Christmas one year. Just make sure your 2nd and 3rd turkeys do not collect moisture inside while waiting, give them another good pat in and out to get all the moisture off of them. It can get really messy when the oil has already been running at full temp for an hour and moisture exists.

Good luck. Enjoy.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
redbandit98
On the road to being a farker

thanks for the suggestions. I will not be "storing" the turkeys when they are done. I will keep one, give one to my neighbor and one to my parents. I was just wanting to make sure I could cook them back to back with no worries about the oil.
redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
btrcj
Got rid of the matchlight.

Peanut oil is the way to go.

If you do not overheat the oil it can last for as may as 8 to 10 birds.
The most I have fried with one batch of oil is 8 turkeys.

I store the used oil in a 2.5 gal plastic pail in our extra refrigerator or in our chest freezer.

cj
btrcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

I've done 3 t-birds in a row no problem. Mine were in the 10 lb. range, so 3 min. a lb I was done in 1 1/2 hours!! I have kept my oil (peanut) for four years no problem. Let it cool put back in container and freeze, worked for me. I would say in the four years I cooked maybe 12 or so birds. My family just likes them plain so I never had to strain, after cooling any crud was on the bottom and I poured off the good stuff.

That's just me, your results may vary............

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote