MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Mtmouse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Multi-use UDS

For the past year I have been using my UDS as a substitute "conventional" BBQ, with limited success. The problem is the heat source is too far away from the cooking surface in order to get a good sear on the meat.

So today I decided to modify one of my UDS's so I can use it as a BBQ when needed. All I needed to do was drill four more holes 6" below my cooking grate for another set of bolts....I was going to do this anyways to add a second grate for larger smokes. I put two grates on top of one another (to limit the holes sizes as not to lose the small bits of charcoal) I'm sure one grate would have worked just fine, but I had an extra one sitting around.

Now I should be able to get a good sear on my steaks, etc....without reverting back to my gasser. I will be doing a test run tonight with some shish kabobs.

Mtmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I wonder how long those cooking grates will hold up using them as charcoal grates?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I've thought about similar mods, but haven't done anything. Let us know how it goes.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
harripooner
Knows what a fatty is.

Brilliant!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey,Mtmouse. Do a search for Grilling on a UDS. Post #7 by Southern Home Boy will give you an example of how to. I remember seeing some good ideas to do just that, cant remember where though .

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like a great idea, but you might want to think of some sort of barrier between the charcoal and the sides of you drum. Those hot coals could burn and discolor the outside of the drum, I think anyway.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
Looks like a great idea, but you might want to think of some sort of barrier between the charcoal and the sides of you drum. Those hot coals could burn and discolor the outside of the drum, I think anyway.
my thought as well.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'm planning on doing something similar, only the charcoal basket will be sitting on it's own grate about 10" below cooking grate. All it takes is 4 more bolts installed in the drum, and set the original basket on the lowest grate. It has a pizza pan ash catcher mounted to bottom, so no worries burning out the cooking grate.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I added 3 bolts to put another cooking grate in to hold my charcoal basket just below the cooking grate. Works great. This is how I make my new UDS's. However, I can't use the 550degree engine paint. I have to use the 1100 degree stuff which costs more....

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I added 3 bolts to put another cooking grate in to hold my charcoal basket just below the cooking grate. Works great. This is how I make my new UDS's. However, I can't use the 550degree engine paint. I have to use the 1100 degree stuff which costs more....
With all that extra $$$$$ you are making now selling the custom Weber handles now?????? JK Marty

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not a very good location for the thermometer for that grilling setup.

just sayin'
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
Mtmouse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
you might want to think of some sort of barrier between the charcoal and the sides of you drum. Those hot coals could burn and discolor the outside of the drum, I think anyway.
Too late.

What I have learned....besides above:

1. Use less charcoal.

2. Remove the firebox from below (with charcoal in it) or get a pizza pan to cover it so the burning coals that fall through won't light the lower coals.

Needless to say there was enough heat to make a great pizza oven or incinerator, but I think with a couple little tweaks it should suit my needs.
Mtmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
biglag
On the road to being a farker

I used a stand from an outdoor burner to raise my firebasket and it was a perfect height and had perfect heat. My prob was that flame-ups were brutal cooking burgers and then sticking my hand down into the drum to flip them was HOT being that my grate is 8" below the rim surface. I'm sure steaks or anything you can use tongs on would be fine but using a spatula was brutal. But I was looking for a good excuse to buy a performer anyway so I didn't try again. Haha

Lag the lurker
biglag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
LoveBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I used a set of chains to suspend my charcoal basket in mid air about 5" below the top grate. Here is the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108048