MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
jgarcia
On the road to being a farker

Default Question about boiling ribs

Not what you think.

I made some extra ribs this weekend and vacuum sealed and froze them. I plan on taking them to a Scout camp and reheating. I do not know if I will have a grill to reheat and was planning on placing the bag in a pot of boiling water like pulled pork.

Anyone done this before with ribs, and how did they turn out? Should they be thawed first, and how long should I heat them?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

That's the best way to reheat bbq that has been vacuum sealed. Keep an eye on the pouch and not let it melt. Generally doesn't, but I have had it happen.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
peterz

Lol. I almost fell of my chair untill I read the rest of your post =)
Funny.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
That's the best way to reheat bbq that has been vacuum sealed. Keep an eye on the pouch and not let it melt. Generally doesn't, but I have had it happen.
AMEN!

Do not leave the water on "full boil".
Get it boiling then turn down the heat to a "high simmer" to avoid busting the bags.
Frozen or thawed is OK.
20-30 minutes should do it.

Good Eats!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
BisonStew
Knows what a fatty is.

Dangerous subject line!!
It's funny, I used to work at a restaurant that specialized in wings (they were really good) when I was working my way through university a few moons ago. Well, they did ribs too and used to boil them earlier in the day, they weren't the most popular item on the menu but would sell quite a bit. I figured the owner knew what he was doing so I started to boil them at home too, I later found out that this is of course a huge no-no.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterz View Post
Lol. I almost fell of my chair untill I read the rest of your post =)
Funny.
Same here.lol

Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

LOL, I was certainly prepping for the big blow up when I opened this.......whew!

Looks like you got plenty of the right advice above.

KC

Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You mean You don't boil your stuff before smoking?? but...but .. OH that is what a the aluminium foil is for now I get it

I don't do Boiling, just a hot Soak like in SUE V. who ever she is

Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Boy o boy i thought there was gonna be a reason to start yelling but i see your point now...lol sounds like you got some good advice.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
jgarcia

I figured the title would get some attention. Thanks for all the advice, I think I am well on my way to having the best dinner at the campout.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm more concerned about how you're going to keep them. The scout camp I attended (as an adult) had no facilities in the individual camps to hold food. Scouts were absolutely forbidden to hold perishables between meals. any left over went back to the commissary. if your camp is like this and you violate the rules, how to you expect to convince the scouts to follow the rules? Of course every camp is operated differently and I suppose you've already made arrangements for storage. (and maybe you'll make the staff really happy on one of their late night forays into the camp cooler. )

Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
jgarcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I'm more concerned about how you're going to keep them. The scout camp I attended (as an adult) had no facilities in the individual camps to hold food. Scouts were absolutely forbidden to hold perishables between meals. any left over went back to the commissary. if your camp is like this and you violate the rules, how to you expect to convince the scouts to follow the rules? Of course every camp is operated differently and I suppose you've already made arrangements for storage. (and maybe you'll make the staff really happy on one of their late night forays into the camp cooler. )
Thursday night is the OA ceremony and parent night (no dinner provided), and that is when I will be arriving. Parents bring meals for the kids before heading to the ceremony. Being only about 90 minutes away, I'll just keep the ribs in the cooler and heat up when I get there with the troop supplies.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
Thursday night is the OA ceremony and parent night (no dinner provided), and that is when I will be arriving. Parents bring meals for the kids before heading to the ceremony. Being only about 90 minutes away, I'll just keep the ribs in the cooler and heat up when I get there with the troop supplies.
"Happy Campers" comes to mind.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
bbqlearner
Full Fledged Farker

Crazy subject line - reminiscent of my old days of cooking ribs

Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

I reheat all my BBQ in the vacuum sealed bags. I would highly recommend the bags designed for it. The others may not be safe. Ie, once heated they can release chemicals.

Seems strange to say but a chamber style vacuum sealer was one if my best BBQ investments.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote