MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Default Brisket help

I am not looking for your secrets to eternal youth but some inside thoughts or tips to help our brisket. We did our 3rd comp today and got our name called which was awesome.

However brisket has been our destroyer. It is always dry. I would like to explain our technique and then get input.

We smoke at 235* to IT of 165-170* We then wrap it in a liquid solution to finish it off to approx IT of 195* We then take it out and let it off gas and also separate point from flat. From there we cut our burnt ends which are always great and the flats go into the holding cooler for couple hrs.

Then we take them out and unrap. The foil is full of juices and when we make our cuts the slices just pour with juice. But by the time the box is finished our slices are so dry. So how do we keep our slices moist?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
I am not looking for your secrets to eternal youth but some inside thoughts or tips to help our brisket. We did our 3rd comp today and got our name called which was awesome.

However brisket has been our destroyer. It is always dry. I would like to explain our technique and then get input.

We smoke at 235* to IT of 165-170* We then wrap it in a liquid solution to finish it off to approx IT of 195* We then take it out and let it off gas and also separate point from flat. From there we cut our burnt ends which are always great and the flats go into the holding cooler for couple hrs.

Then we take them out and unrap. The foil is full of juices and when we make our cuts the slices just pour with juice. But by the time the box is finished our slices are so dry. So how do we keep our slices moist?
Injecting the brisket before cooking with a solution comprised of flavor and phosphates is very, very helpful.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

Injecting is a must. Also try letting it go tip IT is 200 to 205 that will help the tenderness. We wrap ours in a towel while its still in the foil. That helps it absorb the juices.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Agree with the injection but you could also let the slices sit in the juices after you slice them, before you box them, to soak up a little more juice before you box.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Injecting will definitely help. Don't worry too much about internal temps. Wrap it when it has good color and pull it when it probes tender. Also, it doesn't hurt to let your slices lay in jus for a little bit before you box.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepChief22 View Post
Injecting is a must. Also try letting it go tip IT is 200 to 205 that will help the tenderness. We wrap ours in a towel while its still in the foil. That helps it absorb the juices.
Taking your brisket to 205, then letting it rest in a cambro or cooler will take it to 215 or 220 and that will spell mushy, over cooked brisket.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Injecting the brisket before cooking with a solution comprised of flavor and phosphates is very, very helpful.
Quote:
Taking your brisket to 205, then letting it rest in a cambro or cooler will take it to 215 or 220 and that will spell mushy, over cooked brisket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B'sBBQ View Post
Agree with the injection but you could also let the slices sit in the juices after you slice them, before you box them, to soak up a little more juice before you box.
Agree with all three...

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with what everyone said above, but I'll add this........go buy 3 briskets, inject all 3, cook as you have been. Wrap at 160 or whenever the color gets to your liking, then pull one at 195, and start probing the others around the same temp. When you get to "probe tender" (the probe slides in like butter) pull it, let it rest then slice up. Let the other go until it's really probe tender, (or another definition you'll find out only through experimenting) and pull it, let it rest and slice up. Compare the 3, and take notes. Whichever you liked the best use that as your new baseline, and do it again in a week or so. Brisket is not easy, temps have nothing to do with it being good. It's all about feel, and that takes time, and briskets. Good luck!!!

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Inject with any of the main three (Butchers, Kosmos, FAB). All are good. Don't pull till probe tender. Sometimes that's as high as 210*+ for me. Then straight to the cooler for 3-4 hrs. The only venting comes from the holes in the foil from my thermopen. Never had a mushy one............yet.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
SDAR

Name/Nickname : Allen

Don't slice itvwhile it is too hot either. I like Bludawg's idea of letting it get down to around 155 before slicing.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I don't agree with this one. Most of our briskets go past 200* and we cambro every single one of them for a few hours. I vent them first and never had a mushy one. Can it happen? Sure...But that doesn't mean it will happen.

I HIGHLY recommend injecting. I use Kosmos.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

All of the suggestions above will help. I would also recommend finding a nicely marbled packer brisket too, that alone can give you a very moist brisket.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ View Post
I agree with what everyone said above, but I'll add this........go buy 3 briskets, inject all 3, cook as you have been. Wrap at 160 or whenever the color gets to your liking, then pull one at 195, and start probing the others around the same temp. When you get to "probe tender" (the probe slides in like butter) pull it, let it rest then slice up. Let the other go until it's really probe tender, (or another definition you'll find out only through experimenting) and pull it, let it rest and slice up. Compare the 3, and take notes. Whichever you liked the best use that as your new baseline, and do it again in a week or so. Brisket is not easy, temps have nothing to do with it being good. It's all about feel, and that takes time, and briskets. Good luck!!!
Once I reach probe tender, I let it go for 30 more minutes...

Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
basmsi
Got rid of the matchlight.

how much do you think quality of meat plays into all this. this is our first year on the KCBS circuit and we have been using Costco brisket, and we inject. our brisket for the most part is coming out not as moist as we would like. talking with some of the teams that generally finish in the top five, all say they buy like Wagyu or some other mail order briskets. what do you think
basmsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
All suggestions already given are good, but juice "pouring" out when you're slicing might mean you needed to rest at room (air) temp for 5-10 minutes before slicing? When we slice ours, you can see the moisture in the meat, and some juice leakes out, but it doesn't pour out
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote