PigskinBarbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How To Make Brine For Tender Juicy Chicken & Other Poultry Every Time.

Here is a simple Brine recipe for your poultry so you can make tender juicy chicken, turkey, duck or wild game bird each and every time!

If you need something to brine your poultry in try a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

1/2 Gallon Cool Water
1/2 Cup Course Kosher Salt
1/3 Cup White Sugar
1 Lime Sliced

DIRECTIONS:
Combine everything except limes and stir until dissolved. Squeeze and add limes. Add poultry and refrigerate 4 - 12 hours.
Throughly rinse poultry after brining, discard brine. Season poultry and cook as desired.

This is enough to do 2 whole chickens. If you need more brine just double the recipe.

You can also add other things to fit your taste like rosemary, thyme, mint, bay leaves, cilantro, clove, allspice, beer, fruit juice, garlic, ginger, hot peppers and so much more. Try combinations.

WARNING!!!
Avoid using bbq rubs or heavy seasonings in the brine, save that for actually putting on the chicken. Most of these will not soak into the meat to impart flavor and you will just be wasting your product as it will go down the drain when you discard the brine.
Aromatics and things that can dissolve or combine with the brine solution work best. If you want to use any seasonings make sure they are "Powders" like garlic powder and such, but again I prefer to just use garlic cloves for that matter.

[ame="https://youtu.be/kpRsJLtyakM"]https://youtu.be/kpRsJLtyakM[/ame]

Is the sugar and lime required?
Besides flavor, what does the sugar and lime do?

Thank you for the simple recipe, I'm a simple cook.

Personally I do 1/4 cup salt to half gallon water. I also object it at the start of the brine though...

Is the sugar and lime required?
Besides flavor, what does the sugar and lime do?

Thank you for the simple recipe, I'm a simple cook.

The sugar is useful is aiding in the browning in color of the poultry. it gives it that nice color due to a chemical reaction from the sugar, meat and the heat when cooking. it's called the Maillard reaction.
There are brines without sugar but it will produce a pale looking piece of poultry.
The limes, I usually squeeze the juice of the lime in the brine and then put the slices in there. I like the flavor it gives the poultry combined with the rub I use.
The limes are not needed, it's all a matter of taste preference.

hope this helps.

Timely post. I have a couple bone-in, skin on chicken breasts and was looking for a quick and simple brine :thumb:

Back