Cooking It Old School Pt. 3 - Poke Chops

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last chance to cook in NC tonight. I've had a couple other cooks I mentioned in this thread and this thread. I figured I'd get fancy and add temp control to my pit.

I added another grate level and built a fire out of awesomely seasoned Live Oak.

072812-2.jpg

I was wanting to do a reverse sear type deal, so I started up high where it was cooler. Chops were marinated in Carolina Treet (I've been cooking everything with that stuff) and occasionally dusted with Head Country Rub (thanks Jeanie!). Again, no therms.

072812-3.jpg

After a while, it seemed the chops needed more heat than they were getting, so I dropped a level and threw a small split on. I also added a sear grate (snagged from a nearby gasser) right over the pit.

072812-4.jpg

When the chops firmed up some, I started searing a few at a time. I threw another couple of small splits on before doing this.

072812-5.jpg

They came out nice!

072812-6.jpg

While they rested I did some dawgs - Hebrew Nat'l and Nathan's. Got some buns toasting too.

072812-7.jpg

The chops got nice and juicy after a little rest. They definitely look different from when they got pulled off the grill.

072812-8.jpg

Since I'm being all healthy and chit, I cut a chop in half, had it with a bunch of salad, some applesauce, and, if you look closely, some tater tots - you gotta live a little right? Four layer pie for dessert.

072812-9.jpg

We had the family of one of my lovely wife's co-workers over, so there were kids running all over the place hollering and carrying on, just like the way it ought to be! We feasted and had fun. I eventually struck the cooking setup and built a big arse fire.

072812-10.jpg

Good food, good times, new friends. :thumb:

Thanks for looking!

I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Old North State.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Old North State.

I would totally live here - NC is by far one of my favorite states - beautiful place, great people, great grub! :thumb:

Wonderful, those fancy grills make the best-tasting Q. :thumb:

I've been noticing that!

Very nice looking plate, Greg. Sounds like you had a great time. Lovin' the high tech grill! :thumb:

• Thanks
072812-9.jpg

That pork chop looks amazing. For all the people who cook their lean pork past 140, this is what you are missing out on.

• Thanks
Killer post Greg... Love the old school set up! This shot is a beauty...

072812-9.jpg

• Thanks
Those chop looks great, I agree NC is one of my favorite state , what part was you visiting

• Thanks
Awesome! This is really making me want to build a fire pit in my yard. I haven't even told my wife about the UDS I'm building yet. :grin:

• Thanks
With applesauce!?....you're killing me!
Nice cooking G.!

• Thanks
Great looking chops Greg and the night time bonfire looks like fun. :becky:
You're welcome on the dry rub! :grin:

• Thanks
The things you can do with some metal, brick, wood and flame. Looks great man!

• Thanks
Great post and pics bro! I need to go visit the other threads you linked since I missed those as well every other thread during my absence from the site over the last couple of weeks.

• Thanks
Looks awesome, Greg! :clap:

Very resourceful method of two tier cooking grates. I think you just got nominated for tending the underground pit for the upcoming bash!

• Thanks
My in-laws live at the beach in Myrtle. I will be using your set up next time we head over there. Nice looking chops brother!!

• Thanks
Those chop looks great, I agree NC is one of my favorite state , what part was you visiting

Southport. Went to Charlotte for a few days as well. :thumb:

Awesome! This is really making me want to build a fire pit in my yard. I haven't even told my wife about the UDS I'm building yet. :grin:

I'm seriously thinking about doing this in my yard once the kids outgrow their fort thingee. Once that goes, I'd love to have an open pit in that spot. I think it's a great way to go.

Looks awesome, Greg! :clap:

Very resourceful method of two tier cooking grates. I think you just got nominated for tending the underground pit for the upcoming bash!

Hmmm....playing with fire. I think I can do that. :clap2:

Thanks to all y'all for the kind words!

Back