• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking my first brisket this weekend...

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a 6lb choice brisket flat from Costco last weekend, and I am going to throw it on tomorrow or Sunday. Planning to use some Plowboys Bovine Bold, don't have the equipment for injection. It will be smoked on my BGE, any advice on temp and what length of time I can expect? I have read that you know when it is done by feel, is there a target temp I am looking for?

WISH ME LUCK!

I am a fan of hot and fast cooking of brisket now. For me that means 270F to 300F (choose a specific temp, I don't mean cook in a range). I would think you have a 6lb flat, so you are looking at 3 to 4 hours, maybe 5 at the lower range of temps. I use a remote to see temperatures and start to check around 195F. It goes pretty fast with just a flat. I use a thermometer probe, not the one in the meat, to poke and see if it goes in real easy.

Probed it a bit more, I am getting readings from 170-190. It is like butter where it's 190, still resistance at lower temps. I flipped it fat side up since the top was where it was firm, think I'm still okay?

Ya, wait until it's close to 190 or buttery feel all over the flat. Since you did the fast cook, foil it, wrap it in a towel, and let it sit for an hour before you slice it. I know it is hard to wait, but resting is always a good idea, and essential for a fast cook.

Back