8 hour Brisket HELP!

B

BigHam

I have volunteered to smoke for a friend tomorrow, told them plenty of time for chicken, loin, and ribs if we start at 11:30 for a 6pm feed. Well last night they told me they bought the chicken, the loin, and threw in a BRISKET! I have them soaking the brisket in DR pepper.

Yikes - I usually smoke the brisket 16-18 hours on my Southern Yankee at about 220 degrees. I wrap after about 6 hours and usually turn out a nice brisket...I can stretch tomorrow's smok into 8 hours but that will about all the time I will have.

Plenty of room on the smoker...I need suggestions or thoughts on if to wrap and hints preparing the brisket in only 8 hours. Smoker will be on 220...with the other stuff on their I could push up a little but will need to stay below 250...

I have volunteered to smoke for a friend tomorrow, told them plenty of time for chicken, loin, and ribs if we start at 11:30 for a 6pm feed. Well last night they told me they bought the chicken, the loin, and threw in a BRISKET! I have them soaking the brisket in DR pepper.

Yikes - I usually smoke the brisket 16-18 hours on my Southern Yankee at about 220 degrees. I wrap after about 6 hours and usually turn out a nice brisket...I can stretch tomorrow's smok into 8 hours but that will about all the time I will have.

Plenty of room on the smoker...I need suggestions or thoughts on if to wrap and hints preparing the brisket in only 8 hours. Smoker will be on 220...with the other stuff on their I could push up a little but will need to stay below 250...

Is it a Packer? what's the weight?
Regardless, you can use a good beef or brisket rub that DOES NOT HAVE SALT, get it out of the DP, dry it off, if packer, trim fat cap down to 1/4" - 1/8" thick, and cut fat out of V between point and flat on both sides (save fat). Rub in a good amount of rub, a slather of yellow mustard, and another GOOD coating of rub sprinkled heavy all over. Wrap tight in seran wrap, put in refer NOW. Remove an hour or so before cooking. I cooked an 11 lb packer the other day in about 13 hours at around 225-235 (that means put it on the smoker at 5:00am tomorrow). Use 1hr 15min/lb as a guide, when 190-195 done. Take an aluminum pan punch holes in bottom, place fat in pan, cook brisket fat cap down and place pan in rack above brisket. see this post - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50056

Also check out recent threads on fast cooking brisket... good advice maybe for you there in your case

Last edited:
I have not seen it I think it is a flat and around 7#'s - guess knowing the weight would help??? sorry

Is it a Packer? what's the weight?
Got to have more info. You cannot do an average 12 -16 pound packer at 220 degrees in 8 hours. More heat, maybe but a lot more heat. Not familiar with your smoker so is there a really hot spot you can identify and put the brisket there? Flat or packer and weight is huge question here for an 8 hour cook.

the southern Yankee has a rotisseire(sp?) in it so no real hot spot... I am leaning towards just using my big smoker for the loin and chicken - I may do a dual smoke - I can do the brisket for sure on my Orion Cooker in about three hours if it is a packer and less if it is a flat. The orion uses high temp and will get it done...need more time and since traveling to his place not an option to start earlier.
Thanks for all the advice everyone! If I get exact weight and it is closer to 5# flat maybe able to make it work too.

thanks again

I would tell them that the brisket would be great for next time when you can smoke it the way you want to. Just me though, I wouldn't risk wasting a friends brisket.

1_T_Scot - I lika how you think...that maybe best. Unless it is a small flat. I think that is what I will do...

You could always get some smoke on it for a few hours and then wrap it and finish it in the oven at higher temp.

Back