Red Performer CL Score + ?'s

mwmac

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just brought home a date code EE Red Performer for $49!! One owner, lightly used. Only cosmetic issue is porcelain chip on one side of lid holder. Pics to follow. My main concern is can I get the propane tank filled at the local hardware or is there an issue with it not being in compliance with regs? I recall seeing a thread saying something about the valve no longer being allowed. Any thoughts?

Couple of quick shots before I head out for some washers and nuts to reattach the lid holder: tiny chip on lid lip; porcelain chip at lid holder attachment.

Last edited:
Great score. You even beat my $50 score.:thumb:

You will need to get a mod done to use that tank. I believe a RV shop can do the conversion, although I never use the LP tank on mine. I am sure others will chime in with specifics.

don't those use the 1lb propane cylinders that coleman or other off brands make?

don't those use the 1lb propane cylinders that coleman or other off brands make?

No, it has the small 5 lb propane tank. The newer performers are setup to use the disposable propane bottles. I use a 20lb tank via a hose on my other performer.:thumb:

Great score. You even beat my $50 score.:thumb:

You will need to get a mod done to use that tank. I believe a RV shop can do the conversion, although I never use the LP tank on mine. I am sure others will chime in with specifics.

Thanks.. Once I saw it, I didn't even consider bargaining, paid her full asking price. Weber CS said they are sending me some adapter needed for refilling free of charge (what a company!) Will I still need a tank modification?

No, it has the small 5 lb propane tank. The newer performers are setup to use the disposable propane bottles. I use a 20lb tank via a hose on my other performer.:thumb:

That's what I thought, I knew the newer ones had a smaller tank. Have fun with your new toy! :-D

Well it is on the patio ready for its first cook. Now I am faced with a dilemma: do I keep the Redhead or the DR date code performer? Redhead pros: smaller footprint; handy grate holder; refillable onboard propane tank; SS work surface; lower cooking height (want to add a Cajun Bandit) cons: smaller charcoal bin; 12 years old. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Check the propane tank for a sticker stating it is an OPD valve, that is what is on the Performer I picked up 2 years ago. I took the tank to a local rental shop. They re-certified it and filled it with no problem. That ignition feature is part of what makes the Performer such a great grill. Put you lump in a chimney, put it over the ignitor for 2 minutes. You're ready to go in just a few minutes with no mess or fuss.

And I agree, keep the red one!

Check the propane tank for a sticker stating it is an OPD valve, that is what is on the Performer I picked up 2 years ago. I took the tank to a local rental shop. They re-certified it and filled it with no problem. That ignition feature is part of what makes the Performer such a great grill. Put you lump in a chimney, put it over the ignitor for 2 minutes. You're ready to go in just a few minutes with no mess or fuss.

And I agree, keep the red one!

OPD valve present! Now I just have to wait for the refill adapter from Weber and I'll be good to go:clap2:

A decision has been made: I am keeping the redhead! Held a farewell cook of Roadside chicken on the DR code performer last night; cleaned it up this morning and donated it to my recently retired neighbors. They just moved back from San Antonio where they left a large gasser and were commenting on the aromas from my backyard kitchen. Score one more convert for charcoal burners!

I think I'm the minority here. I'd say pitch/sell the ignition system. Buy some washers to cover the hole and call it a day. I got my Performer for $50 and it was fairly trashed, there was no way I was going to spend any amount of time fixing it up. Sold the whole system for $10. The guy that bought it didn't even care if it worked. I guess we can say it's preference, but newspaper is always cheap and easy, no moving parts. Keep the grill, though, it looks awesome!

Holy redhead!! That is in awesome condition. if you really want to you can touch up a bit with Duplicolor engine enamel Engine Red (good to 500° intermittently the can says), but with the minimal blemishes on yours, you may even be able to skip it... rust may be an issue over the years though. But what an awesome looking Performer!!

I personally love the TNG ignition system. Very convenient. If yours works then use it... you'll probably like it.

Congrats!

Helluva score there! I can't believe that you got it in THAT good of condition for the price! Enjoy!

Holy redhead!! That is in awesome condition. if you really want to you can touch up a bit with Duplicolor engine enamel Engine Red (good to 500° intermittently the can says), but with the minimal blemishes on yours, you may even be able to skip it... rust may be an issue over the years though. But what an awesome looking Performer!!

I personally love the TNG ignition system. Very convenient. If yours works then use it... you'll probably like it.

Congrats!

Tried out the TNG ignition after filling the tank... it works perfectly...life is good:thumb:

Back