MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
RatRod
On the road to being a farker

Default Thermometer for the millionth time....

I've used the search feature as well as google but want the MOST up to date intel I can get with the way technology and quality changes.

Is Maverick the only game in town ? Obviously there's a few others but everything my research shows me leads me back to the ET 732 for $60 from Amazon.... Should I look at something else or just pull the trigger ? Don't mind spending a few $$$ more/less if there's a better option ?

Thanks for any help.
RatRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You are very limited to choices when it comes to the wireless versions of a pit / meat thermometer.

According to a recent post, the "Remington" is a re-branded "Maverick" for about $20.00 cheaper... I can't verify this as I no longer use wireless.

I went to a BBQ Guru, I figured if I was spending money on a wireless thermometer, that I was already halfway to the price of a complete pit controller. I no longer have to attend to my smoker, the Guru babysits the cooker and takes care of everything while I sleep..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I've had my Maverick for 1.5 years and never had any problems with it. Not with the probes or anything :knock on wood:

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a Stoker.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

I have a maverick et-732 and it is great for only being $50. It beeps to let me know that the pits have fallen out of the range I want to cook in, and it beeps when my meat reaches a certain temperature, so I can start testing for doneness. This allows me to get some sleep when doing overnight cooks.

I bought 2 of the remington thermometers and they are a re-branded Maverick ET-732. I got them for gifts for a couple of my friends that just got started with smoking meats.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
madmike
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have the ET. 73, and it is working so far. I bought it before i knew the 732 was the way to go. You asked if there was something else, take a look and the thermoworks TW8060. They also have one that will link to your smartphone through blue tooth. The company has some cool stuff. Have fun.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
RatRod

Great tip on the Remington.... $20 is as good to me as Amazon which says Maverick is the manufacturer . Thanks fellas !!! Feel free to keep the replies coming

Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Tsevg9

I use a Maverick ET732. Works great for my purposes. The next thing I will buy (If I want to get a little more serious) Would be a BBQ guru that would stoke and control everything for me.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
RatRod

Just ordered the "Remington"

$38.99 (free shipping)

We'll see .....

Ill post a review after I tinker with it a while.

Thanks for the input

Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
GC8

I use the Maverick ET 73 and have had no issues with it. The only complaint I would have is the range of the wireless.
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have a Maverick ET-85 and the ET-732. I love both of them but I haven't had the best luck with probes. My second probe on the ET-85 is failing and my food probe on the ET-732 isn't working properly either after about six months (15 cooks or so using it). Warranty on the probes is only 90 days I was told when I asked Maverick about them. I don't need wireless but I do want reliability which is pushing me towards buying one of the Thermoworks TW8060 units. They cost more but if it works reliably and the probes hold up better, I'd be willing to pay it.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

My et732 has been great. First thing I bought after my kamado. No issues with probes or anything for the past year Ive owned it. Im moving to a cyberq wifi though to free myself and take care of other things during long/overnight cooks without anxiety and second thought.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote