Fair price

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey boys and girls, I was just wondering what is a fair price to pay a couple of helpers at catering events? ie servers loaders un loaders prep help. I have a couple of big weddings coming up and just wanted to know what you guys charge? In my early days of catering i have had friends help me in the past and they seem to think they should get more then what they are worth considering the amount of money I am being paid. Have any of you folks come across this? is it better to hire strangers through craigs list and pay an hourly wage plus mileage. thoughts please8)

I calculate $15.00/hr for my right hand man. Although, he's my cousin and actually refuses to be paid. He just wants to help. So I end up treating him to a lot of different things and make sure he's taken care.

As for servers. I only provide service from a buffet. They get paid $50-$75 per event, depending on the size and time. I have a lead person that handles questions from the other servers or client. If she can't handle the question, then she reports to me. She typically get's paid a little more.

I'm not sure about the CL thing. You really need to find friends that you can trust, but know they are not the boss and paying for everything else (insurance, fuel, supplies...etc). Of course, I typically do all prep. My help comes in the feeding the pit, loading, unloading, washing dishes and clean-up. So it's hard for them to ask for equal pay.

Back