logo

Eastern Style NC BBQ

Carmichal

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Ok Guys

I am a newbie and am wanting to try some eastern style NC bbq. I am going to do a butt and think I have the cooking technique down but am not sure of the rub seasoning. Some folks I have talked to say nothing but salt, black and red pepper and then cook, chop and sauce it with a vinegar based sauce. They say no injecting, it's all in the hickory smoking then the sauce you add when the cooking is done and your chopping the pork. Am I on the right path? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Eastern NC style is one of my favorites. I go basic with the rub, usually salt and pepper only, maybe some garlic. Then I use a basting sauce starting about 4 hours into a butt cook. Traditional ENC mops are white vinegar, water, salt, black & cayenne pepper. I will sometimes forget the water and add some apple juice and just a dash of wooster, especially if I plan on using it for a finishing sauce after pulling or chopping.

Eastern NC Mop / Finishing & Table Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
3t sea salt
1t black pepper
1t cayenne
1t wooster

Warm to dissolve.

I like this mop on ribs too and just mix it in a shaker bottle. I start mopping after about an hour and a half. It's faster and less mess than using a brush. The "floaties" are a couple of dried birdseye peppers.

DSC04533cc.jpg

Yup, salt and pepper.
Chop it or pull it and splash in a vinegar/sugar mix. I use maybe two tablespoons on a whole butt.
Thats what I grew up eating in Middle Tennessee.

If you want the real thing don't use anything besides salt and maybe pepper for the rub. Chop it, don't make it very smoky and don't use much of anything sweet at anytime. The sauces aren't much more than cider vinegar. Somehow it works but it's really not what most people think.

If you want the real thing don't use anything besides salt and maybe pepper for the rub. Chop it, don't make it very smoky and don't use much of anything sweet at anytime. The sauces aren't much more than cider vinegar. Somehow it works but it's really not what most people think.

Doc,
You speak like you have been on a Road Trip and/or written a book about this or something.:wink:

From my experience DRBBQ is correct. I hit about 10 NC Q joints a couple of years ago on a trip there both eastern and western. Several were the shrines mentioned in Mike Mills book Peace, Love and BBQ. I got to go into the smoke houses of 4 of the places and talked with the guys. To me the only real difference between the two styles is the dip (what we call sauce, except it is thin like a liquid), one more vinegar the other has vinegar but has a bit of a tomato base to it. To me the dips are okay, a nice change and the meat was very good at every place I went. Cool smoke houses also.

Eastern NC style is one of my favorites. I go basic with the rub, usually salt and pepper only, maybe some garlic. Then I use a basting sauce starting about 4 hours into a butt cook. Traditional ENC mops are white vinegar, water, salt, black & cayenne pepper. I will sometimes forget the water and add some apple juice and just a dash of wooster, especially if I plan on using it for a finishing sauce after pulling or chopping.

Eastern NC Mop / Finishing & Table Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
3t sea salt
1t black pepper
1t cayenne
1t wooster

Warm to dissolve.

I like this mop on ribs too and just mix it in a shaker bottle. I start mopping after about an hour and a half. It's faster and less mess than using a brush. The "floaties" are a couple of dried birdseye peppers.

DSC04533cc.jpg

I definately love this cider vinager sauce. I usually add a little red pepper flakes to mine to kick uo the heat a little. I don't understand the western carolina people where i grew up though. I just can't see eating slaw on a pork sandwhich...

You'll regularly see slaw served on the pork sandwiches in NC, SC, GA, AL and even Memphis.

The idea that it's strictly a NC thing is another one of those myths that just aren't true.

You'll regularly see slaw served on the pork sandwiches in NC, SC, GA, AL and even Memphis.

The idea that it's strictly a NC thing is another one of those myths that just aren't true.

I had slaw on my sammy the first time I went through Memphis, and thought it was stange...until I ate it. Yummy. :cool:

I only like slaw on BBQ, being raised in the north has allowed me to try different stuff without feeling geographicly bias.:p

I had hot dogs one night in WV during my college years and I remember saying: ... ugh I think they put mayo on mine.
My roommate replys, no it's Coleslaw... what they don't eat them like that in NY?... we laughed, and drank more beer! Thanks for conjuring up that memory.:biggrin:

I saw it on tv and tried it years ago. Been doing it that way ever since. My slaw is pineapple and vinegar based so it is a perfect compliment.

Coastal NC is what started me into BBQ! We have been going there fishing/vacationing a couple of times a year for 10 years or so. Here's my sauce recipe I got back then from a local, and it's still my favorite. Give this one a try - everyone I've made it for has loved it for years. Don't forget to put the slaw on the sammie - very important!

2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1-2 tbs red pepper flakes (less or more heat)
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1-2 tbs salt
1-2 cups hot water (less or more tangy)

Mix it all together and let sit a few hours.

Sometimes I just rub the butt with a little coarse salt, sometimes I use my regular rub.
I always top the sammie with slaw!:biggrin:

Got a recipe from Michelle (Sawdust guy's wife) and it's a sweet german style. it goes hand and hand with my pulled pork.

I never had slaw on a pork sammie until coming here. Now it happens on a regular basis. I do need to check out Bigmista's pineapple slaw. It sounds great.

I never had slaw on a Pork Sammich either and i live in alabama. Lol! I dunno...maybe its a NE. Alabama thing. :wink:

But I'd love to try it! I love Coleslaw, sweet or unsweet....with mayo or without.

:biggrin:

My husband is from NC. He introduced me to pulled pork sammies with cole slaw and I got hooked to them many years ago. I'm from Los Angeles and this was all new to me. My quest in life has been to introduce many more Los Angelenos to this treat.

Since this is a slaw highjack, I am also a big fan of slaw on my pulled pork sammies...as are all my neighbors now!

Ok,,, Eastern BBQ,,, we mostly cook a WHOLE HOG,, the sause is cider vinager with a touch of brown suger,, pepper flakes and rubed with salt,, mopping is up to the cook. use hickory and or oak,, but not to much smoke. Gas cookers are becoming the norm here. If you want a true pig picking ,have your friends gather aroung the cooked hog and let them pull "PICKING" the meat off the carcus. Have the sause standing by in old ketcup containers.. have a side of slaw and hushpuppies,, or in a bun with slaw.

Enjoy!!

Back