Pork Belly - Final Temperature?

C

Charles Brown

Gentlemen,

Was going to smoke a pork belly this weekend for some guests coming to town. What would a good final temperature be? I'm planning on vacuum packing a wet brine with maple syrup and bourbon for a day or two and then throwing it on the BGE. I've never smoked a belly before.

I'm thinking of setting the fire to 205* on the smoker with apple / maple wood but don't know when to pull the meat.

I have a large BGE and a DigiQ for heat monitoring. Any help would be appreciated. Also, seeing as this is also my first time cooking belly, any guesses on how long it should take?

thanks,
Charlie

I cook them until the jiggle and wiggle like jello.

The trick is to get the fat rendered out well, otherwise, the fat ends up crunchy (not desirable, Noooo). I smoke at 225F to 250F.

Cook until 150 IT. On my LG BGE at 200 - 225 it takes about 3.5 to 4 hours but that was 15lbs of belly. Be sure to use the platesetter and a drip pan to avoid fair ups of rendered fat. Enjoy!

Last edited:
In my earlier post I said 150 degrees if you're making bacon. If not bacon than cook to a higher temp, like 195.

Not making bacon. Just smoking a fresh belly. The meat has been vacuum packed with the brine / marinade. Planning on smoking it tomorrow morning, cooling it, and then searing it to give it some crisp while serving it over grits.

I'll flip a coin between 150* and 165*.

Other input is still appreciated.

best,
Charlie

Charles, I cooked my first pork belly last month, and it turned out great. Here is the link, with step by step notes on what I did. Hope it helps.

Back