Pecan vs cherry vs apple for comp chicken?

J

jmoney7269

Was curious on you guys thoughts of pecan vs apple vs cherry on chicken.
I'm Cookin my competition. Chicken in a UDS direct over lump @350 with 1 small chunk directly on the coals right before the chicken goes on. I preferably like the cherry and the color it turns my skin, apparently the judges don't. I currently use pecan and like the results but sometimes I feel it's a little too strong. I just got a batch of apple wood in from fruitawoods and love fruit smoke on chicken since its subtle and takes it so well. I read that apple wood turns the skin light golden brown from the sugars that are still in the wood which is what I'm after. Can anyone validate this? The pecan doesn't do too much for color, just a little too pungent for my liking. We are hit or miss in chicken but usually in the top 10. We cook brine/marinated spatchcocked 4.5 lbers

Our 1st ever comp last year we used Cherry and took 1st place.

I didn't like the color that apple gives the chicken. With that being said I have not used apple in over a year and have learned a lot about running a clean fire so that may have been the issue.

Any smoldered fire will give meats a off color. My guru runs about 40-50% average @350 with 2 whole birds on it. It's a clean fire and have learned on UDS's less is more. Even with the vault. With that being said, I guess I should do one this week to form my own opinion. Off to HEB to get a chicken! Oh wait I still got 9 in the deep freeze :doh:

Back