Mexican style Chorizo

Pugi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just received my christmas present to myself, the book Charcuterie. I love the book by the way. Anyhow the first recipe that caught my eye was Mexican style Chorizo, because we cook alot of athentic Mexican dishes. Started with a 5 lb pork butt, cut it up and added spices.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MjIuanBn.jpg

Then it was run through the grinder once with the 3/16 die and to that added a little liquid and mixed by hand.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MjQuanBn.jpg

And finally I made a little patty and fried in pan to check spice levels. It turned out great. Tomorrow will be Chorizo and scrambled eggs for breakfast! The only thing I am not sure of is the color. Commercially offered chorizo is usually a little more red in color. Taste is awesome though.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MjcuanBn.jpg

The commercial stuff has way more fat I think.
When I cook the commercial stuff it literally falls apart into tiny grains/almost liquid

The commercial stuff gets its color from a good bit of red dye I'm sure. One thing you can use for color that will not add too much flavor and take away from the flavor profile is paprika. Looks good from here. Actually, the good homemade chorizo I get at the mom and pop places, doesn't have the red color. It looks just like yours.

Just received my christmas present to myself, the book Charcuterie. I love the book by the way. Anyhow the first recipe that caught my eye was Mexican style Chorizo, because we cook alot of athentic Mexican dishes. Started with a 5 lb pork butt, cut it up and added spices.

It looks great! Would you be willing to elaborate on what spices you put in?

Outstanding. I love chorizo and making my own is an interesting idea :clap:

Try a bit more paprika or get some anchiote paste (or powder). Start with just a bit more because the anchiote will get real ORANGE on you if you aren't careful. Have fun and don't worry about color...most commerical sausage uses dye.

love chorizo tell us more about the different recipes in this book when you make them. the chorizo i buy in the small mexican groceries in phoenix look exactly like yours

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Looks great. I made some a while back, and it looked like yours. What I've found with sausage is that the more you get away from comparing yours to the store bought, the better off you are. I'd kill for a plate of that with some eggs this morning.

It looks great! Would you be willing to elaborate on what spices you put in?

Kosher salt
ancho chile powder
paprika
chipotle chile powder
minced garlic
black pepper
oregano
cumin
tequilla
red wine vinegar
Thats the whole list. It was very easy to make. So easy a Brethren could do it.:doh:

I think the commercial stuff adds a little achiote powder also. Just a small enough amount they do not have to list it. That looks good to me, and the color of the oil tells me you are good to go.

Great book! I've only had it a month or two, and made some awesome tasso for gumbo. I can't wait to do more from it.

CD

Great book! I've only had it a month or two, and made some awesome tasso for gumbo. I can't wait to do more from it.

CD
Me too! I made bacon from the book as well. Not sure what is next. I need to get a sausage stuffer and some casing before I try those type of things. I do recommend the book though, many, many recipes and general information.

I made my own chili powders by buying dried chilies at store, put in oven for a bit to get really dry, remove stem and seeds and run through spice grinder. It's well worth the effort as far as taste.

Back