MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #46
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

In my opinion, beer can chicken is a novelty. It sounds really freaking cool...I mean seriously, beer and BBQ and then cramming a beer up a chicken. In sounds awesome.

I agree with the article though. We tried the beer can chicken method years ago and noticed nothing extra special.

IMO, if you want a juicy, flavorful bird....brine.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #47
BobbyQ$
Got rid of the matchlight.

Spatchcock, brine 4 hrs, rub all over with parkay and dryrub. Blows beer can away!
BobbyQ$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #48
garbageman59
On the road to being a farker

I've never used an actual beer can. I was turned on to BCC twenty years ago by some machinists I worked with. They used beer cans and told me how great it was. I asked about the label and if they thought the silk screened label and fire and food all mixed well.
I then asked why we didn't just make them out of some scrap stainless. "How big???" they asked. I replied "About the size of a beer can.....". I returned the next day to see the prototype.
An 8" by 8" piece of 3/16" stainless plate with a piece of pipe welded to the middle that was EXACTLY the size of a beer can!

They made 5 for each of us. I have 4 to this day (one day I'll find the 5th and bury the #$%^@! who stole it). They been used a 1000 times. I think the thermal mass and contact with the chicken cavity speeds cooking times and the steam and moisture keep it juicy while the base plate keeps the bottom and legs from burning. No, I don't always use beer and if I do it's always some that a guest left in the fridge.

The results are always the similar.......

Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #49
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_chicken.html

Thoughts?

I have to admit I used to do a lot of beer-can chicken but have found that I like spatchcocked chicken better... plus it cooks faster.
Beer-can chicken is for those people who haven't discovered spatchcock chicken. Butterfly your chicken and grill it flat on an elevated grid over direct heat. You will have the best chicken you've ever eaten. Beer can chicken is so 2005.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #50
garbageman59
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Beer can chicken is so 2005.
WTF is wrong with 2005? I'd go back in a heart beat. I want my big block daily driver back and can't stomach it with $4 gas!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #51
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

I insert the empty beer can holder into the cavity and lay the birds flat with the open business end facing the firebox on my little Char-Griller. My best chickens come from this method, I believe because the wire racks holds the cavity open and allows the heat and smoke to get inside.

And I agree the whole steaming, swirling beer inside the chicken is a myth.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #52
dfaarc
Knows what a fatty is.

I used to make beer can chicken until I realized there are so many better way to make chicken. It is such a waste to use beer for anything other than drinking.
22.5 Weber Redhead, UDS#1
dfaarc is offline   Reply With Quote