MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default How long can I hold med rare beef in a cooler?

Hey gents, doing two 4 lb Beef round eyes, pit beef style this weekend for a party. Will cook to 125 IT and a normal 10 min rest would bring the IT up to around 130 to 135 where I want it to finish. However I will need to foil wrap and cooler the beef for transport to the party. Will the beef IT rise past my acceptable med rare range by just sitting in a cooler wrapped in towels? Sorry for the long winded noob type question...any input would be appreciated. Btw, can expect to cooler for 30 minutes or so.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't tell you exactly how an eye of round will raise in temp being wrapped in a cooler for 30 mins, but I can guess. So I ate Christmas dinner at my parents and they bought a big beef tenderloin. They wanted it medium'ish (the term they used) so I brought a probe and told them to putll it off the grill at 130, which they did but I didn't know that they would need to rest it for 40mins because some of the other food was behind. So they wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler bag. When it came out it was almost well done .

So that being said my guess would be to take it off before 125. Maybe 120ish. Just a guess though and maybe some others will have some input.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

at 30 minutes i would not worry about a cooler. at 4 lbs it will just be cool enough to slice if you foil it will continue to cook. 30 minutes is nothing andwill still be hot

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Believe the cooler/time period aspect is the relative time available which can rest above 140 degrees.

Having medium rare meats (below 140*) resting longer than 1 hour... sounds likely be a food-safety issue.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I'd take it off at 120, double wrap with HD foil, wrap a towel around that, toss it in the cooler and be on my way. I wouldn't take it off any higher than 120 based on your desired doneness **IF** you are roasting it at high temperatures a la pit-beef style that is. The radiant heat from the outter meat will continue to cook the meat more if you are at a high temp to start with. If you are cooking it a low temperature this will be somewhat diminished. This is just my personal experience.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I did a brisket for Christmas dinner, I took it off at midnight (Internal temp 160) the night before dinner a 2:00pm the next day.. Plastic wrapped, foiled and wrapped in 2 towels, placed into a cooler. When I went to slice it at 1 pm it was still hot enough that I had a little bit of a time holding it with bare hands... maybe 100-115 degrees... It may have been the best brisket I have ever cooked.... moist and tender and it seemed like the rub seeped into the meat alot more...I think this is going to be the norm with my briskets from now on.

I sliced it and returned it to a pan with fresh made beef broth made from the drippings, carrot, celery, onion with frozen reserved beef bones simmered for 10 hours... into a 200 degree oven till 2:00pm it was gone in 10 minutes... my moms ham and turkey was hardley touched.... ooops! sorry mom!

i would say it would not be rare for more that about 10 minutes from what I found out with this cook...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks to all for the input. I think what I'll do is pull it off at 125, foil wrap but no cooler, take it to the party, slice and consume. If it turns out like the last bit of pit beef I did it won't last long enough to be a food safety issue.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I did a 12lb rib-eye roast to 134 degrees and put it in a cooler for 3 hours wrapped in foil and towels. Came out hot and perfect! Rare to Med rare

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote