MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

Hi Bucco.

Was that the grassfed beef from Farmer Jacks. I got it B4 did it on the gasserand it was tough as... musta been run right across the Nullabor B4 it was killed here. But with the proper treatment and possibly some aging to help loosen the fibers it will be OK.

Farmer Jacks also has grass fed rib eye on special at the moment ... real ridiculously low price, below $10/kg.

Got to find work again first then will be ringing and coming over annoying you for some lessons and decent cookups.

Muzza in Perth 4 a while.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Buccs, that sure looks like you did well with it. That was a very young steer, and I suspect you would have had better success with a slightly older animal. I often end up doing grass-finished tri-tips when I am in Humboldt, and because they have sweet grass and good forage, the tri-tips end up being quite good. I think get a more full tri-tip and you will be good.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
LMAJ

Looks pretty tasty!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Buccs, that sure looks like you did well with it. That was a very young steer, and I suspect you would have had better success with a slightly older animal. I often end up doing grass-finished tri-tips when I am in Humboldt, and because they have sweet grass and good forage, the tri-tips end up being quite good. I think get a more full tri-tip and you will be good.
Thanks Bob, I'll take some of these if they offer Ox tri tips then.
You can't get better feed that the grass these guys eat down here, well maybe Robbins Island is better but this is premium cream.

Update: The tri tip cold is far more delicious than it was yesterday, hot!!

I rested it for 30 minutes, maybe rest longer next time??

Old 06-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray in N.Z. View Post
Hi Bucco.

Was that the grassfed beef from Farmer Jacks. I got it B4 did it on the gasserand it was tough as... musta been run right across the Nullabor B4 it was killed here. But with the proper treatment and possibly some aging to help loosen the fibers it will be OK.

Farmer Jacks also has grass fed rib eye on special at the moment ... real ridiculously low price, below $10/kg.

Got to find work again first then will be ringing and coming over annoying you for some lessons and decent cookups.

Muzza in Perth 4 a while.
No Muzza, this was Cape Grimm, one of our top 5 in the country.
Farmer Jacks, they sell economy grade and I haven't seen any that tempted me yet.
Some economy grade is good, but you have to spot the gems among the crud.
They don't sell tri tip tho, ever.

Come over.
It's the "Highland Park" rule around here

Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
landarc

Perhaps a longer rest.

At least over here, the steer are raised for at least 6 months and sometimes a year longer than grain-finished animals, so you see tri-tips that are a little larger. So yes, get Oxen tri-tip next time

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #22
Supes
Got Wood.

Looks awesome to me!
Supes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
BobM
Babbling Farker

Looks great!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi Bucc
I am changing my view on the amount of marbling in a tri tip.
About a month ago I posted a thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=161809)
I put six Waghu tri tips (9.5kg - 21lbs in total) on sous vide at 55C (131F) and will pulled out after 10 hours. I iced them down, put five in freezer and took one for Sunday's lunch. The Waghu was 9+ marbling and was on grain for 600 days.
I have subsequently eaten/served four of the tri tips after heavy searing. There is no question they are tender & have great flavour and texture HOWEVER the fat has got to me. I now find I cannot eat other than a small potion. This is not like me - I generally love the fatty bits be it on beef, lamb or pork. In conclusion I will not seek (or pay the premium price) for 9+ marbling. What I will buy is meat with good quantity of visible marbling (say3) and that is available in both grass fed and grain fed beef.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
youngbloodbbqenthusiast
Got Wood.

I read the title so wrong. I was expecting cherries to be somehow incorporated into the dish then i looked at the title again and smacked myself upside the head.

Looks very tasty!
youngbloodbbqenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
Hi Bucc
I am changing my view on the amount of marbling in a tri tip.
About a month ago I posted a thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=161809)
I put six Waghu tri tips (9.5kg - 21lbs in total) on sous vide at 55C (131F) and will pulled out after 10 hours. I iced them down, put five in freezer and took one for Sunday's lunch. The Waghu was 9+ marbling and was on grain for 600 days.
I have subsequently eaten/served four of the tri tips after heavy searing. There is no question they are tender & have great flavour and texture HOWEVER the fat has got to me. I now find I cannot eat other than a small potion. This is not like me - I generally love the fatty bits be it on beef, lamb or pork. In conclusion I will not seek (or pay the premium price) for 9+ marbling. What I will buy is meat with good quantity of visible marbling (say3) and that is available in both grass fed and grain fed beef.
I respect this judgement call.
You won't find many thread of me cooking and eating wagyu in the western style.
I like it sliced thin and cooked over the hibachi with thin slices of pumpkin, sweet potato, eggplant and zucchini, or dipped in hot water for Shabu Shabu,John.

Btw the end of the Tri tip turned out the be marbles well, not too fatty and tasty.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #27
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Looks delicious! I LOVE tri-tip.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I respect this judgement call.
You won't find many thread of me cooking and eating wagyu in the western style.
I like it sliced thin and cooked over the hibachi with thin slices of pumpkin, sweet potato, eggplant and zucchini, or dipped in hot water for Shabu Shabu,John.

Btw the end of the Tri tip turned out the be marbles well, not too fatty and tasty.
I'm with you. On reflection it probably relates to the volume consumed. Three ounces is a big serve Japanese style. The fat became an issue when "muggins" started to eat it like an Aussie steak.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
buccaneer

Muggins is in a mighty big club there!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
slow-smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks tasty Buccs!

-[B]Mike[/B]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]48" Klose Backyard Chef[/COLOR], Primo Oval XL[/SIZE]

Stealth-Grey Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
slow-smoker is offline   Reply With Quote