MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner
Default So, how did it start?

So yeah, I love BBQ, wanna fight about it? I cook at home, I cook for the family, I do some comps, blah blah.

In my town everyone who sells pellet grills sells Traeger's. And I do mean everyone. So, I did some research, got off my butt and put a little money into getting the only Green Mountain Grills dealership in town.

I have a full time job working at the family business and I do the pellet grill thing on the side. I keep em stored in the warehouse at work and sometimes people call and say "hey man, can we come by and look at a grill"?

Long story short, the infrequency of the calls is slightly disappointing, and as I am constantly yearning to be a little more involved in all things BBQ I am considering trying my hand at some "very light" weekend catering gigs.

When I say light I mean cooking meat in an FEC100 in the garage, cooking sides in my oven, putting chit into a cambro, driving it to said bachelor party, slapping some high fives, glancing at the stripper and rolling out.

I don't want to have to come back for anything. I'm confident in my Q, got some amazing baked beans that the wife makes, and my cole slaw I will put against anyone .

Sooooo, before you all doze off from reading my life story, how does a tiny caterer just cook a couple events a month out of an FEC in the garage and an electric Kenmore in the kitchen? I really don't want to have to pay for a website and all that. I will however bend to peer pressure and buy some business cards.

Can it be done? Story at 11.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

great minds think alike...you put it better than me though. inserting stripper mod.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooner View Post
So yeah, I love BBQ, wanna fight about it? I cook at home, I cook for the family, I do some comps, blah blah.

In my town everyone who sells pellet grills sells Traeger's. And I do mean everyone. So, I did some research, got off my butt and put a little money into getting the only Green Mountain Grills dealership in town.

I have a full time job working at the family business and I do the pellet grill thing on the side. I keep em stored in the warehouse at work and sometimes people call and say "hey man, can we come by and look at a grill"?

Long story short, the infrequency of the calls is slightly disappointing, and as I am constantly yearning to be a little more involved in all things BBQ I am considering trying my hand at some "very light" weekend catering gigs.

When I say light I mean cooking meat in an FEC100 in the garage, cooking sides in my oven, putting chit into a cambro, driving it to said bachelor party, slapping some high fives, glancing at the stripper and rolling out.

I don't want to have to come back for anything. I'm confident in my Q, got some amazing baked beans that the wife makes, and my cole slaw I will put against anyone .

Sooooo, before you all doze off from reading my life story, how does a tiny caterer just cook a couple events a month out of an FEC in the garage and an electric Kenmore in the kitchen? I really don't want to have to pay for a website and all that. I will however bend to peer pressure and buy some business cards.

Can it be done? Story at 11.
Yes, but you are risking the loss of all assets by not cooking onsite, approved kitchen, etc per your HD.

You need insurance, hot and cold serve equipment and the list goes on....

And, gasp, you may need a website.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Yes, but you are risking the loss of all assets by not cooking onsite, approved kitchen, etc per your HD.

You need insurance, hot and cold serve equipment and the list goes on....

And, gasp, you may need a website.

Yeah I live in MOFO land, I think they are a little bit more lenient when it comes to the HD. I read a whole PDF on food prep guidelines and there is all sorts of stuff in there on cooking from your home and if you don't sell 10k a year and so on and so forth. I am gonna go the proper route of course so long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

So, I may get lucky since I am starting off and won't have to do all the BS that you good folks in Cali have to. We can hope.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

What you are proposing would be illegal in Oklahoma and anywhere else I've heard of.

That said, many caterers start out as "outlaws", but it is for sure a risk.

No matter what have insurance. If they okay you cooking from a non HD approved facility, you will probably be fine.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not sure about all the catering stuff, but if yer only glancing at the strippers, they need to hire better strippers.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been interested in doing some BBQ catering for a long time. My ex and I used to have a catering business that was going well until she got lazy and started turning down jobs! Anyway...
Upon carefully reading the rules for food service establishments here in Tennessee, there's a little passage that says something like "casual, infrequent food sellers did not have to comply with the state / local regulations for food service establishments. I thought to myself "surely that ain't right?" So, I called the local HD and asked him about it. He said "yep, that's correct!" When I asked what he considered "infrequent," he said, "oh, once a month or so." But he went on to say that you couldn't hand out business cards, etc., in other words, have a formal business. So, at least here in TN, you can try your hand without investing a fortune to meet code. Carefully read your local codes. Who knows, could be the same where you live!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Can you message me a link to the Tennessee laws I need to read them since I sell my BBQ sometimes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

I flew under the radar for 4 months, but expansion got the best of us and got trailer with HD blessings and we sell 5 days a week . Not worth losing everything to a lawyer. Go legal.