MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
MKE Meister
Found some matches.

Default testing the avocado kamado

Hi all...hope I can figure out how to post pics.
1. recently bought an Avocado Kamado from Menards on sale (yes, I'm perfectly aware that this is NOT a BGE, but my mouth can't taste the difference). Trying different cooks to get a feel for it before going low and slow.
2. pizza (forgot to take a shot of my homemade pizza, this one is from Papa Murphy's)
3. bone-in pork chops with foil wrapped potatoes and veggies in the grill pan.
4. Plate of pork, taters, and veggies.
5. My first attempt at spatchcock. Brined the birds for about 12 hours, let them dry overnight, and grilled direct at about 325 for approx. 1.5 hours. Best chicken I've ever done.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avocado.jpg (29.3 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg pizza.jpg (53.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg action_porkchop.jpg (93.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg porkchop.jpg (55.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg spatchcock_chickens.jpg (98.8 KB, 200 views)

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
cbpeck
Full Fledged Farker

That food looks great!

And that smoker looks a whole lot like the Costco Kamado that was discussed a while back.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Dude, that is some beautiful food! You owe no one an explanation about whether or not your grill is an egg or not. It is your kamodo and you fortunately got one. I am envious regardless of brand.

If you don't mind, what was the cost of that one from Menard's vs. BGE? Looks just like the BGE to the untrained eye! Do you have the platesetter indirect thingy or did you have to make something up on your own?
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
MKE Meister
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
what was the cost of that one from Menard's?
I paid $379. Came with grill, side tables, stand, heavy cover, platesetter, top tier grill, and ash tool.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Holy cow, I think your cooker is better than the egg! You spent about 500 to 600 less and got as much or more than the brand name. They are all coming out of China so not much difference there. The only reason I want to go with Primo is because they are American in America and you can do indirect with the coals actually placed to one side not with a plate over the fire. Yeah it works but I like the Primo design a little more.

I will be buying through Directbuy since my BIL has an account and it is decent priced but no where near the deal you hooked up on! Congrats on the deal!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Holy cow, I think your cooker is better than the egg! You spent about 500 to 600 less and got as much or more than the brand name. They are all coming out of China so not much difference there. The only reason I want to go with Primo is because they are American in America and you can do indirect with the coals actually placed to one side not with a plate over the fire. Yeah it works but I like the Primo design a little more.

I will be buying through Directbuy since my BIL has an account and it is decent priced but no where near the deal you hooked up on! Congrats on the deal!
I too am leaning towards the Primo XL, but if I can find a BGE XL at good price I'll take it.

With that said, I'm not sure if you're implying that BGE is made in China, they're not. How can you say it's better than the egg? (No offense OP). You get much more with the egg than the Menards cooker, things that are unseen and of great value, same with Primo.

Great looking grub man. That pizza is on point.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I too am leaning towards the Primo XL, but if I can find a BGE XL at good price I'll take it.

With that said, I'm not sure if you're implying that BGE is made in China, they're not. How can you say it's better than the egg? (No offense OP). You get much more with the egg than the Menards cooker, things that are unseen and of great value, same with Primo.

Great looking grub man. That pizza is on point.
I was definitely wrong about China, the BGE is manufactured in Monterray Mexico. Not the China but not the USA either, closer though.

As far as true comparisons, I do not own one but it looks like you get lots of stuff with that Menard's egg and with the 500+ left over you can buy doubles of all the other stuff you are missing and some charcoal and meat to go along with it.

I am not prejudiced against the BGE but dang a deal is a deal and to me that is a deal!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I was definitely wrong about China, the BGE is manufactured in Monterray Mexico. Not the China but not the USA either, closer though.

As far as true comparisons, I do not own one but it looks like you get lots of stuff with that Menard's egg and with the 500+ left over you can buy doubles of all the other stuff you are missing and some charcoal and meat to go along with it.

I am not prejudiced against the BGE but dang a deal is a deal and to me that is a deal!
I hear you, definitely sounds like a deal. But what happens when a fire box cracks? I've heard it happens often. It'd sure would be great to get it replaced for free. Heck, I'm even hesitant to buy a used bge or primo because of that.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I hear you, definitely sounds like a deal. But what happens when a fire box cracks? I've heard it happens often. It'd sure would be great to get it replaced for free. Heck, I'm even hesitant to buy a used bge or primo because of that.

Because I really don't know, maybe you do. Are the cracks repairable with jb weld or anything like it? Or is it just simply junk when it happens and needs to be replaced?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice cooker!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Did you lick the inside or outside of the cooker to determine they taste the same?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking grub right there.

Welcome to the playhouse!
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Goldflinger
Knows what a fatty is.

That food looks awesome! I bet the dead plant and animals don't know what they were cooked on :-) Glad you saved some coin for most likely the same results!!
Goldflinger is offline   Reply With Quote