Hello from San Luis Obispo, California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Qcrue2U

Hello everyone!

Thank you for letting me be a part of the Brethren! I am glad to be here and can see that I can get help and questions asked by experienced BBQrz..

My name is Chris and I am from San Luis Obispo, California. I am a seasoned griller and am almost ready to start smoking..

I am starting a new BBQ joint. But I have to first show that I can do it and become profitable. I am talking with the city, health dept. fire dept. county, etc. I am fairly overwelmed. I wanted to start at the local farmers market. And I see there are a fair amount of hoops to jump through. I am forseeing that a once a week or two times a week gig, will not get me the proper knowledge if my stuff will fly. I have my enclosed tent a new Q. Waiting for the helth department response. I have filed for my fictitious business name. I cannot get a business license, bank account, or sellers permit until the fictitious goes through. This will be a long month!! I wish to know what I can do to keep my momentum going and start to get my business off the ground? :icon_bugeyed

cooltext90275887.gif

Welcome Brother Chris. Good luck on the business venture. A lot of us here would like to do what you are trying to do.

Just curious about your business venture. You are new to smoking but want to open a business selling que?

Welcome aboard, Chris! That fictitious bus. name is the easy part. City license isn't so bad either (they just want your money). Your biggest hurdle is the HD. Make friends with them and talk to them (before you have your setup) and get a feel for what to expect. It's a little daunting, but hang in there. Good Luck!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Yes interested in Comps....

I have not smoked, but I have grilled for 20 years... :)

ps. To become a member of a group, is this a paid for subscription? All my cash is tied up and need to still pay city, state, Fed, etc.... and get my remaining tools for the trade!!!

I am in direct contact with the Health Dept. ehhehe she knows my name :)

Welcome to the madness. :-D

To cut your teeth, findout what it takes to particpate in the Thursday's Farmers Market on Higuiera St.

SLO is more familar with Grilling and Santa Maria Tri Tip, but good BBQ understood when tasted.

As far as your business plan, wander over to Cal Poly and see if the business students might be able to work on your plan. As a grad Cal Poly, I know I did my final project helping out a small business in the community. The students work on teams with the help of one of the Profs. I would look at getting in front of one of the dean in the college of Business.

Man I love SLO, really miss it. It is one of the best places in the world to live, if you can find work. :-D

PS - What are you planning on using to cook on???? The HD is very particular as to the type of cooker for a Rest.

Welcome! I'm curious to know what kind of menu are you planning for your business?

Thanks toys4dlr!! Excactly what I have to do. Sounds GREAT!!!!

I am planning on a nice well rounded, propane grilling experience. I just purchased it. 110,000 btu NexGrill commercial 2 tanks.. nick named B.A.M.F. ;) !!! (pics coming soon.) I am currently creating the menu on paper, logo, etc. I have just test ran what I will be offering. I cannot tell if anyone from this site is local, so I can not name all my offerings due to competition... If knowone is local in this county at this forum, I will be glad to share. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back