The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
Highlife4me
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've not had that problem, just don't push it too hard when putting it on the tube. You want the casing to be able to slide off the tube freely. A little experimenting and you will figure it out, it works pretty good.
Highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlife4me View Post
I've not had that problem, just don't push it too hard when putting it on the tube. You want the casing to be able to slide off the tube freely. A little experimenting and you will figure it out, it works pretty good.
Yeah.. Kinda wish I didn't blow a 20 on the high mountain seasonings. but I was in the middle of freaking out. At the time all my plans were shot, until I got a smaller stuffing tube or different size casings.. Didn't learn I could stretch the casings slightly to make it fit.

Just looks like you have to work with smaller lengths when using the 19mm casing.. but that would be fine. I would rather have a smaller rope

Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
mchar69
Babbling Farker

I've used regular pig casings many times, and the Sausagemaker Mahogany casings to good effect for SS.
Never used the natural Lamb casings for sticks,
people say they are hard to work with.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Alright came into a problem here.. The smallest stuffing tube that came with the LEM stuffer is a 1/2" and the 19mm casing will not fit the stuffing tube.

Are stuffer tubes universal? Or do I need to purchase LEM product? Wondering if I could just go to cabela's and buy one of their sausage stuffer tubes and it will work with my LEM stuffer. Is there a quick fix to this without having to buy a smaller tube?
Stuffer tubes are universal unless they have a special notch to lock them in place.

The 19mm will work with a 1/2" tube. 19mm is just shy of 3/4 of an inch, .748 to be exact, you have a 1/4" to play with. Because the casings are bunched up, you may have to slowly slide the casing on the horn, moving it in sections at a time to unbunch the tight sections as you slide them along the tube/horn.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #21
Joshw
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
I've used regular pig casings many times, and the Sausagemaker Mahogany casings to good effect for SS.
Never used the natural Lamb casings for sticks,
people say they are hard to work with.
I have used Sheep casings, hog casings, beef bungs, collagen casings and the fibrous casings. I would much rather work with any of the natural casings than the collagen casings. They are easier to work with, and I love the snap you get on the finished product. I do use protein lined fibrous casings a lot for salami and summer sausage, just because they are cheaper than the beef bungs. Don't be afraid of natural casings.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #22
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Was hoping the containers said but they don't.. How much water is recommended to mix in with the seasoning/cure/meat to help evenly distribute through out the meat?

Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #23
Joshw
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Was hoping the containers said but they don't.. How much water is recommended to mix in with the seasoning/cure/meat to help evenly distribute through out the meat?
about 1oz per pound. It's mainly a consistency thing. If you feel it is a little too stiff to stuff, you can add more. You want to use Ice cold water, it will help the fat not to melt while mixing.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
about 1oz per pound. It's mainly a consistency thing. If you feel it is a little too stiff to stuff, you can add more. You want to use Ice cold water, it will help the fat not to melt while mixing.
Yeah so far I've always added water to making sausages and it makes perfect sense to do so. But yeah I was a bit off on that. 1oz per pound sounds about right. I was guessing 1/4c per pound. Was just gonna mix in 1 or 1 1/2 cup for a 10lb batch. lol

Guess I'm getting a jump start.. I'm prepping my work area and going to be making the summer sausages this afternoon.... Gonna spend the next 3-4 days at this.. Trying to time everything just right :) Starting a day early so I should have plenty time.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #25
Joshw
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yeah so far I've always added water to making sausages and it makes perfect sense to do so. But yeah I was a bit off on that. 1oz per pound sounds about right. I was guessing 1/4c per pound. Was just gonna mix in 1 or 1 1/2 cup for a 10lb batch. lol

Guess I'm getting a jump start.. I'm prepping my work area and going to be making the summer sausages this afternoon.... Gonna spend the next 3-4 days at this.. Trying to time everything just right :) Starting a day early so I should have plenty time.
Adding water is helpful in distributing spices, keeping the fat cold, helping the meat bind, and loosens the meat up for stuffing. 1 1/2 cups isn't too bad, like I said the 1oz per pound is a general rule. Some meats will absorb water differently. There are some emulsified sausage recipes that call for up to 25% ice water to help in the binding process.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #26
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Adding water is helpful in distributing spices, keeping the fat cold, helping the meat bind, and loosens the meat up for stuffing. 1 1/2 cups isn't too bad, like I said the 1oz per pound is a general rule. Some meats will absorb water differently. There are some emulsified sausage recipes that call for up to 25% ice water to help in the binding process.
Yeah I'm not giving away all my secrets and stuff until my thread :).. I'll go into the whole process for a detailed thread later...... And what do ya know... Today is the first time this season its snowing outside!! Probably won't amount to much but it was a slight surprise. Good sign for sausage making! Now I wish I already smoked cheese like I wanted.. I need smoke cheese for my sausages!

Update: Not sure if this is a good sign or not, but I was right. snow wasn't sticking around. Although it was a beautiful short spurt of snow!

Last edited by blazinfire; 12-07-2017 at 10:47 AM..
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote