• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BuckBoard Bacon

jerrykr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
On New Year's day, I started a Hi-Mountain BuckBoard Bacon cure on a pork butt. I rubbed it with the Hi-Mountain Cure as specified, and sealed it up with my Food Saver. Every day or so since, I turned the package over in my refrig.

Well, today was the 10th day, and I started the UDS early to smoke it. RO lump, and a stick of Hickory.

medium.jpg

As per the instructions, I smoked it at 200-250F (depending on where you measure in the UDS) until I had 140F internal. I foiled it, and let it rest for an hour, then refrigerated. This evening, I got it out of the foil to be sliced.

medium.jpg

After I sliced it up, I had 7 one pound packages made up with the Food Saver.

108050217.jpg

-=- Jerry -=-
www.homesausagemaker.blogspot.com

Yeppers - it's about time for me to make some more BBB, thanx for reminding me :biggrin:.

Thanks, I have not tasted this one yet.

This is the second one I have done, and the first one turned out Great.

There are 3 spice/cure packets in the box, makes about 25 lbs total. One packet works out well for the average size pork butt.

BBB never lasts long around my house. That's why I do 4 butts at a time.

Besides, not worth cleaning the slicer for just one.

Thanks, I have not tasted this one yet.

This is the second one I have done, and the first one turned out Great.

There are 3 spice/cure packets in the box, makes about 25 lbs total. One packet works out well for the average size pork butt.

Not even a taste???? Just a little one??????

Looks good. you gotta sample it though. Don't leave us hanging like that now.:wink:

Jerry, your buckboard looks great! :biggrin:

That does look god for sure. I have never tried BBB but it is now on my list.
So many goodies. So little time.:mrgreen:

OK, OK, OK! We had BBB and eggs last night. Excellent! The better half did up some extra BBB and I had a very tasty Bacon and Tomato samich for lunch today.

It is better than it looks in that last picture, cause I screwed up the white balance in the pic so badly! :eek:

Ya'll gotta give BBB a try if you haven't already done so!

So, that really looks good. Ummmm bacon. How does it compare to a high quality, thick cut, commercial bacon? Is it worth the effort for improved taste, or is it just one of those things that you do just 'cause, like making your own beer, or your own soap?

OK, OK, OK! We had BBB and eggs last night. Excellent! The better half did up some extra BBB and I had a very tasty Bacon and Tomato samich for lunch today.

It is better than it looks in that last picture, cause I screwed up the white balance in the pic so badly! :eek:

Ya'll gotta give BBB a try if you haven't already done so!

It is the BOMB and makes the best BLT you will ever have! getting ready to make up some since we just ate our last 2lb bag last week!

Scrooge,

To me, it's kind of a cross between bacon and sliced ham.

It was smoked to 140F so you only have to lightly brown it to get it ready for the the plate. Lots less grease too!

IMO, the thinner you slice it, the more like 'bacon' it tastes after frying... the thicker it's sliced the more it seems like ham... we like to slice it super thin and fry it up nice and crispy.

Just took one out of the freezer for slicing... as others have said, it's best to cure/smoke more than one at a time... they do go fast~!

Back