Is there a prefered size of tree for smoking wood?

Cayman1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have heard various thoughts and ideas on the size of tree and where on the tree that is best for your smoking wood and am curious as to what everyone else thinks. I have heard something close to 12" diameter and use the wood as close to the base as possible. Don't have a clue if this is correct or not.

What say the Brethren?

Don't matter the size or the diameter, I just cut em, split em and let em dry and season.
From trunk to the top it's all good wood to me

I like any good trees that people don't want anymore. If a tree guy cuts it down and stacks it is best! Seriously though, I've cut down several different size trees and as long as the wood is solid and doesn't smell funny I keep it. I keep everything down to about 2" in diameter.

It's not the size that matters.....it's what you do with it.:heh::heh:

Or so I've heard....:becky:

I believe there is a difference between heartwood (main log) and limbs. Take wild cherry for instance, there is a noticeable difference in smell between the red/pink heartwood and that of its branches.

Size only matters to me if it is not to hard to handle for your saw and your maul. What I do like to do is get them in late Spring, or early Summer, when the sap is high.
Dave

The size I prefer is......whatever I can get
I usually get hickory or pecan in regular ol splits like for firewood. or bags of chunks of different types for variety.

Back