MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pitmaster iq vs bbq guru

PITMASTER IQ VS BBQ GURU??????
Resesgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Lobsterbake
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

BBQ Guru Digiq2 or cyber hands down
Lobsterbake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterbake View Post
BBQ Guru Digiq2 or cyber hands down
I have both and can attest to how well they work! Would buy another in a heartbeat.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
BubbaG
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I love the Guru. Can't do without is now.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

I have a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi, it works great.
A review I did.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...91#post2340391
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I think those two units are on different levels.

The IQ Pitmaster should be compared to the Nano-Q as the price is similar and have similar features.

If you are looking at the buget minded ATC's, dont overlook the Auber ATC.

I have one and love it. The best part over the other 2 is it has a bright LED display that tells you the exact temp of your pit, the other 2 dont.

And its more tuneable, but mine has worked perfectly right out of the box.

The most important thing with any of the ATC's is you need a pit that is sealed up well enough that you can put out the coals if you close all your dampers.

The other nice thing about the Auber is it uses a standard thermocouple as a temp proble, so you arent married to the propriatary probes that you have to buy for the other units.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

I went with the pitmaster iq primarily because it can be kept in a waterproof box during the cook, with the hose coming out to the cooker. I was looking for an entry level device and considered the Auber and the NanoQ, but the pitmaster iq is cheap and met my needs. I am sure that the CyberQ is a great device, but it is over $400 when all said and done. I am sure I will upgrade to the CyberQ or the Stoker at some point so that I can monitor my pits from anywhere, but for now, the pitmaster iq fits the bill.

It does not have a temperature read out on it, but i would use a Maverick anyway so that I could monitor the pit from inside, so that is not a deal breaker for me. My pitmaster seems a bit finicky whenever I start a cook, but with in an hour or two it locks onto the temperature and holds it there. I have no regrets.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

another reason I did not go with the IQ Pitmaster is when I was researching them, I sent them an emailing asking if it would work with my cooker, they said it would not.

When I asked them why they did not state a reason, just said it wouldnt work.

Now that I have my Auber, I know the Pitmaster would have worked. They were not willing to answer my questions any further so I decided not to go with them

that turned me off

Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

It seems the iq is shot more at webers, i have one and its simple and works.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
It seems the iq is shot more at webers, i have one and its simple and works.
My vertical is basically a WSM clone. I am sure it would have worked fine on it. But when they did not want to answer my questions I looked at other options

Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

I use mine on a UDS. The company sells adaptors for most cookers.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
accuseal
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
My vertical is basically a WSM clone. I am sure it would have worked fine on it. But when they did not want to answer my questions I looked at other options
I have both. Easy summary.............you get what you pay for. 'Nuf said.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
funugy
Take a breath!

I went with the IQ becuase of the price. It is simple and easy, with no frills. I did have to re-solder the contacts for the temp probe and power on the main board as they came loose. I am a bit rough with my toys. Other than that, I have had no problems.

I don't know if I could justify something more expensive at this point since all any of them do is blow air when the temp gets too low. I have checked the accuracy of the temp probe and have been satisfied with it's accuracy.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

I got the nano q and love it. Yeah I need to have another temp controller with it but I have that already. I didn't want the ique because it looks like I might break it is week. I am rough with my toys as well. I am sure they both work the Same.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do not like the way the fan hooks to a WSM on the bbq guru units. I guarantee I would accidentally kick that fan and break it. I figure three cooks and it is done.

I use an iQue and it does exactly what I expect it to do, and have used it in the rain simply by hanging the unit under my BBQ table. And, I can kick the hose and not break anything.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote