MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Note to BOD members

It appears based on the 2 polls I posted that either the Brethren are not members of KCBS or they don't care what direction the BOD moved in. One question I asked how the BOD should spend money such as the new SAMS deal and had about 20 people voted. WIth almost 15000 members it looks like they don't care.

So to read these polls it looks like everybody at the Brethren thinks you are doing a great job. I guess all I can say is keep up the good work.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I understand this was posted with a heavy dose of sarcasm, but what exactly is your point? That somehow the people on this forum are an apathetic bunch because they didn't respond to your polls? Seems like a heck of a jump to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
It appears based on the 2 polls I posted that either the Brethren are not members of KCBS or they don't care what direction the BOD moved in. One question I asked how the BOD should spend money such as the new SAMS deal and had about 20 people voted. WIth almost 15000 members it looks like they don't care.

So to read these polls it looks like everybody at the Brethren thinks you are doing a great job. I guess all I can say is keep up the good work.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:

Sorry I missed these 2 polls Ford.
Can you point them out to me, I am a member of KCBS and would like to vote on the issues.
Thanks,
Mike

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
I understand this was posted with a heavy dose of sarcasm, but what exactly is your point? That somehow the people on this forum are an apathetic bunch because they didn't respond to your polls? Seems like a heck of a jump to me.
My point is a lot of people that do competition here like to complain about how the KCBS does things but when you ask what would you like them to do nobody seems to care. It also explains why some people didn't get elected last year. Either the membership here is generally speaking not KCBS members (less than 1000 out of nearly 15000) or they just don't care. Are you a member of KCBS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Sorry I missed these 2 polls Ford.
Can you point them out to me, I am a member of KCBS and would like to vote on the issues.
Thanks,
Mike
They are in the competition section and are about a week old now. A few hundred viewed them and only 20 or so cared eough to do something.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Seems about right, 10% conversion rate... I voted in both. Maybe some folks were busy and whatnot with Summer coming on and the Holiday weekend. Also being that we all know that only 2 or 3 BOD members come here and read things might be a factor as well. I am just trying to think of reasons why some folks chose not to vote ??
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
My point is a lot of people that do competition here like to complain about how the KCBS does things but when you ask what would you like them to do nobody seems to care. It also explains why some people didn't get elected last year. Either the membership here is generally speaking not KCBS members (less than 1000 out of nearly 15000) or they just don't care. Are you a member of KCBS?
Not sure how it's relevant, but I am a KCBS member -- and I voted for John Markus, Phil, Jeff and other unsuccessful candidates that the Brethren have (informally) gotten behind. I've corresponded with KCBS Board Members and Candidates on KCBS issues. I've also served as a Board member for the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association.

I still think you are making a huge jump in your conclusion based on the poor response to your polls. Did you consider that the response rate was low because:

1. They fell on a busy competition weekend.
  2. They were posted on one of the less trafficked forums.
  3. People didn't like the set answers you provided.
  4. People didn't care for the questions you asked.
Quite frankly, I missed your threads because I had a busy weekend and didn't see them. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Either way, I don't think the response rate to your polls is the appropriate gauge of Brethren interest in KCBS affairs.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are BOD members still reading these forums?

I voted, but I'm not sure all KCBS members with a keen interest in BOD direction felt the poll was something they needed to answer to get any attention.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Both good points. Maybe people just didn't think it was worth while or didn't like the answers. I wanted more detail but polls are limited to 100 characters including the question so you are limited in wording. That's why you can also comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
Not sure how it's relevant, but I am a KCBS member -- and I voted for John Markus, Phil, Jeff and other unsuccessful candidates that the Brethren have (informally) gotten behind. I've corresponded with KCBS Board Members and Candidates on KCBS issues. I've also served as a Board member for the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association.

I still think you are making a huge jump in your conclusion based on the poor response to your polls. Did you consider that the response rate was low because:

1. They fell on a busy competition weekend.
  2. They were posted on one of the less trafficked forums.
  3. People didn't like the set answers you provided.
  4. People didn't care for the questions you asked.
Quite frankly, I missed your threads because I had a busy weekend and didn't see them. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Either way, I don't think the response rate to your polls is the appropriate gauge of Brethren interest in KCBS affairs.
I had some of those names on m ballots as well (wife was alive then and a member so I got to vote twice). Too bad so many others didn't vote.

I understand your reason for not seeing it but how did that happen? Well it meant that nobody else voted or posted for a couple of days for them to drop off the first page. That means that they read it and chose not to vote or post. To me that says we don't really care or all we want to do is complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Are BOD members still reading these forums?

I voted, but I'm not sure all KCBS members with a keen interest in BOD direction felt the poll was something they needed to answer to get any attention.
I know Merl is because the Dells prize money issue surfaced here on a Sunday and I got a call late Sunday night from Merl who just got back from Repping a contest without having internet and he wanted to know what I knew about it. Monday morning he called Mike Lake (President) and the issue was resolved. I'd still like to hear the whole story on that mess but at least the cooks were looked after.

As to members not caring, I can udnerstand that but I get tired of hearing how the BOD is doing everything wrong yet nobody wants to offer advice to them. There's this false rumor about what goes on in meetings and people should take the time (3-5 hours) to listen to the podcast if they really want to know what's going on. I started listening in Feb by dial in and now listen to the podcasts. Wish all members would have listened to the April podcast. It's a 5 hour eye opener. And May really surprised me at how much time we can spend to design a new banner to hang at all contests. Too bad Phil wasn't on that committee. And I should get my new conpetition Brethren banner tomorrow I hope.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Jorge

Quote:

I don't know that I disagree with your conclusion based on past history.

However, you are making a huge leap with no facts that I can see to support it. At best your polls indicate apathy, perhaps towards KCBS or perhaps towards the polls themselves. You sample size was too small, you have no data to indicate who was in the sample, etc...

I do think it was a pretty good idea, though. It might help the current board if they did something similar and sent it to the membership. It would be simple to put a well thought out poll on the website, in the member section, and announce it via email and in the Bullsheet. For those without internet access a poll could be included in the Bullsheet to be mailed back.

my .02

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I don't know that I disagree with your conclusion based on past history.

However, you are making a huge leap with no facts that I can see to support it. At best your polls indicate apathy, perhaps towards KCBS or perhaps towards the polls themselves. You sample size was too small, you have no data to indicate who was in the sample, etc...

I do think it was a pretty good idea, though. It might help the current board if they did something similar and sent it to the membership. It would be simple to put a well thought out poll on the website, in the member section, and announce it via email and in the Bullsheet. For those without internet access a poll could be included in the Bullsheet to be mailed back.

my .02
I think the KCBS is ahead of you at least they recently did a survey (MMA did it) to find out more about members and their wants. It was however based on gathering demographics to sell the KCBS as an organization to advertisers. All this is mentioned in the May minutes although I think some detail went to BOD members after the meeting. It's all about the money. At least that's my conclusion based on listening to 4 months of meetings and doing a lot of reading and asking questions. By the time membership in general wakes up it will be too late to keep the KCBS like it was and most folks I think want things to be like they used to be. In the May executive session they apparently discussed 4-5 new sponsor opportunities - this was in the public discussion of the meeting.

I'd love to see the KCBS ask members what they want to see the KCBS emphasize. From the recent BOD vote we know the majority think spending on TOY is more important than charity.

And you're correct that I drew some pretty wide reaching conclusions from just a few responses. But my conclusions are not based on the responses but by the lack of responses. So your apathy comment is probably correct. I'm thinking that less than 10% of members are KCBS members but again that's a conclusion based on the last elections.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

I never got a survey from KCBS/MMA...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller

Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
The link to the online survey came via email. Does KCBS have your email address?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Yes they do, my wife is a member as well and she did not get an e-mail for a survey either... I would love to participate in a survey for them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
The link to the online survey came via email. Does KCBS have your email address?
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i didnt get any survey either.. I also have not gotten a response regarding whos repping our August contest. I guess they are busy.

The threads and polls fords looking fro input on has been put at the top of the forum as a sticky.. Please folks, go vote.. Lets see what the consensus is.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Ditto?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013