MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Cochinita Pibil Centex Style

Just saw a request for pit style cooking and thought I would share this cook for this summer. This was a fun one. My nephew graduated from University of Texas this summer and s=we all celebrated at our annual beach trip together. He knows I'm game for anything so he said he wanted to bury a pig.....oh boy. So I dug in and researched and finally settled on Rick Bayless' "Pig in a Pit" technique. I did 2 large shoulders instead of a whole pig for logistical reasons (and i was mor comfortable knowing how the shoulders would behave).

So here we go:

1st: Dig you a hole in the ground:

2nd: Line that pit with bricks (it really helps not to be in the middle of a 3 day vodka bender and to have some spatial skills)

Light a fire and make sure you choose a good spot with a nice view that you can hang by the pit and drink all day (best to chose the spot before digging but this is the way the pics set up)

Next, get a roaring fire going to heat the bricks. I did this and then burned and entire 40 lb bag of mesquite lump too. It was HOT. You are trying to heat the bricks here so the fire was 8 hrs or more of just high heat burning.

While this is going on, I prepared the cochinita:

I used the Achiote marinated from Rick Bayless (i'll post at the end) and marinated the shoulders overnight

We then lined a pan with banana leaves from my bro-in-laws tree and set the shoulders in

Wrapped them all up in more leaves and tied them securely

OK- back at the pit we have a 10-12 hour fire and a nuclear bed of coals. You set the pan directly on the coals and you want to hear boiling and sizziling almost immediately (you want it that hot- you'll see why in a second)

Immediately after placing the meat in, you cover with a sheet of tin and cover that in sand (we are completely hammered at this point and are a menace to society and ourselves-the pictures take a dramatic turn for the weird and have a "Lord of the Flies" quality about them as the night drags on

OK.....so 4-5 hours pass, the drinking continued unabated. Time to take a peek:

And that is where the trail goes dark. We were all starving and way over served so we golf carted the meat back to the house and destroyed it (essentially by hand, just grabbing bits as we could find room). The women were less than impressed by the show but the food was good.

So that's the way you cook in a pit :

Tons of fun but a lot of work for essentially a braised shoulder. Not much smoke so you could do this just about anywhere and get the same results. But I've never posted pics of a roast coming out of my oven!

Peace

Centex
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks like a helluva lotta fun mayng!!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Looks like a helluva lotta fun mayng!!!!
It was hilarious. i can't believe i went through all that and didn't get the "after" pics. It was a sh*t show for sure. I'll do it again next summer. We had people from all over the beach stopping by and checking it out. They were all asking questions like I had any idea what the fark I was even doing. I was just making it all up in a haze.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used to live in Austin, and you just gave me a great reminder of those days.

Congrats to yer nephew for graduating UT - I got a little, um, distracted and didn't quite get there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks like fun! Congrats to your nephew!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I used to live in Austin, and you just gave me a great reminder of those days.

Congrats to yer nephew for graduating UT - I got a little, um, distracted and didn't quite get there.
I knows the feeling......

Little bastid did it in 2 years in an honors program. Crazy. Took some duel credit his jr/sr year of high-school and busted his tail for 2 straight years. Hard working kid. My investment banker buddy snatched him up the day he graduated so I guess hard work really does pay off.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Phubar

Thanks for sharing!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Looks like you had a hell of a good time, and that is after all what it is all about!
Congrats to you and your son!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Looks like you had a @#!*% of a good time, and that is after all what it is all about!
Congrats to you and your son!
It was really funny. The wife was rolling her eyes after 12 hours of me trying to keep up with a 20 year old college grad drinking beers (and everything else) I paid hard the next day. 24 hour hangover

Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That looks like a ton of fun. I wish I could do that where I go to the beach. We sneak beer on, but a fire pit with pig in it, no chance.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
That looks like a ton of fun. I wish I could do that where I go to the beach. We sneak beer on, but a fire pit with pig in it, no chance.
You can have anything but glass on this part of the beach and bonfires are common. I figured if you can have a fire, why can't you put a pig in it? I didn't really ask but I figured that once stuff is on fire, the bus has left the station in my book

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Great story and pics. Sounded like a whole lotta fun! Congrats to your nephew, now he has to work like the rest of us fools!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
deepsouth

banGin

Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Ok, that's been added to next summer's list. Looks like a lot of fun. I just need to find some banana leaves.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
buccaneer

It is always the best of times where the finish pics don't get taken!