MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Question Ribs and a chop

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to smoke six racks of meaty baby backs and a single rack of St. Louis cut ribs. A neighbor at the campground went out and bought a single bone-in, thick-cut pork chop and wants me to smoke it, as well. I have never shed a chop, so my question is, "How long?" The last time I made baby backs and St. Louis ribs, the cook went somewhere between 5 and 6 hours.

Ideas?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsee View Post
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to smoke six racks of meaty baby backs and a single rack of St. Louis cut ribs. A neighbor at the campground went out and bought a single bone-in, thick-cut pork chop and wants me to smoke it, as well. I have never shed a chop, so my question is, "How long?" The last time I made baby backs and St. Louis ribs, the cook went somewhere between 5 and 6 hours.

Ideas?
The pork chop I would smoke it till about 125-130 internal temperature, then then throw on a hot grill till about 140ish internal temperature. The carry over cooking should bring it past 145 degrees internal temperature. This will ensure that the chop will remain moist and tender.

Depending on what temperature you cook at will determine how long it will take for the St. Louis cut ribs to cook. Yesterday I did 2 racks of St. Louis cut ribs in 3.5 hours cooking at 300-325 on one of my kettles.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
The pork chop I would smoke it till about 125-130 internal temperature, then then throw on a hot grill till about 140ish internal temperature. The carry over cooking should bring it past 145 degrees internal temperature. This will ensure that the chop will remain moist and tender.

Depending on what temperature you cook at will determine how long it will take for the St. Louis cut ribs to cook. Yesterday I did 2 racks of St. Louis cut ribs in 3.5 hours cooking at 300-325 on one of my kettles.
Aawa,

Thanks. I know what internal temp to go to on the chop. I more concerned about timing. My SS BPS EDS runs pretty steady between 225 and 240. Trying to decide WHEN in the cook to put on the chop.

Tags
chop, ribs