MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
crlova2
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default New and need advice

Hello all,

My brother is about to graduate college and did a couple Co-ops in Texas for about a year in total. He fell in love with texas bbq and now that he is moving there for good he wants to learn to make great bqq. I believe he wants to learn how to smoke various meats. I am wondering what you all would recommend as a good instructional/informative book or gift to give him would be that relates to smoking bqq. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Charlie
crlova2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Peace, Love, and barbecue by Mike Mills is a pretty good start. Our own Dr. Barbecue has several good ones, there are just a ton of good ones out there. Also Steve Raichlen (sp?) has some informational ones as well.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Give him a pointer to this site.

I have only a couple of books/videos. Not all that great. Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson BBQ book is OK. But you might consider getting him a smoker... the Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" or 22" would be my recommendation for a happy brother.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post
Give him a pointer to this site.
+100 There is more knowlege here than any book could hold.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

My favorite one (and I have a bunch of them) is Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. It not only has some really great recipes, it also explains a lot of the so called "secrets".

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Plus one for Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

This place is a perfect place to pick up anything on request.
A guy could read at this site for months and not be through it all.

BUT, if it's books he wants, I have BBQ USA and How to Grill by Steve Raichlen and both are great. I started out with How to Grill and then picked up BBQ USA later. BBQ USA has a lot about the history and regional BBQ in the reading and also has TONS of great recipes of regional BBQ.

I've heard a lot about Lang's Serious BBQ, but do not have that one.

Seriously, though.......have him join this website and for even better benefits, be a paying subscriber.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I've read a number of barbecue books, and I still reference one or two of them now & again for recipe ideas. However, honestly, I started with books and was very frustrated and didnt do very well. I ended up learning what folks here tell you readily by working and talking to competition teams. Not everyone has this (competition teams) at their disposal. That's why I HIGHLY suggest have him join here in addition to getting him a good book or two. People here freely share recipes, how to's, and just as important, what NOT to do and share mistakes (which books tend to omit). It's a great place, really.

A very good book (with a huge exception) that I have is Smoke & Spice. It's great and talks all about it. HOWEVER, the authors go on and on about their recommendation to cook from 200 to 220. I came away from this (early on) that I need to get to 200 and maintain that temperature. Honestly, that's nonsense, and I ruined many a cut of meat trying to do exactly as they described. Also, they didnt stress the difference in surface temperatures vs. the thermometer located/attached on your smoker. Once I really began monitoring the surface temps carefully, and brought them up to 240-255 I was in hog (barbecue) heaven. So, other than that, the book is VERY good.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 05-03-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

the best thing for me was a one day BBQ class... after that the books were just gravy.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
crlova2
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will probably just get him a membership to this site as some suggested. I have learned more from home brewing forums than from any homebrewing book so I guess it should probably be the same with BBQ forums.
crlova2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Any of the Steven Raichlen BBQ Bible books and Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBQ
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote