MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray
Default Dallas BBQ Is Real!

Brought my wife and kids back to Dallas for Thanksgiving with family. We moved away long ago, in 2004, when Dallas BBQ places primarily were small chains, for the most part “meh.” Had to drive to Fort Worth, other outlying cities, or best of all, Central Texas, for really great Texas ‘que.

Nonetheless, after flying in last night, I had to find some BBQ for lunch today. I had heard about this place

a couple years ago. Easy to access, one block off I35, the outside looked like a traditional Texas BBQ joint:

We visit Dallas a few times per year, so I knew about the resurgence of Texas BBQ throughout the state in the past 5-10 years. But I was unprepared for Slow Bone. Absolutely off the charts.

My kids said lunch was a religious experience — I found it just as good as any I’ve had in Central Texas. The meats were unbelievable and the sides were great. And super-friendly staff.

What other Dallas BBQ places do folks recommend? I know about Pecan Lodge and Lockhart Smokehouse, any others we should try while here? We have until Sun.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by OklaDustDevil; 11-22-2018 at 12:48 AM..
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 11-22-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

407BBQ. A little north, I35W & FM407 in Argyle. If you want to go there, Saturday will be your only day. Closed tomorrow, Friday & Sunday. Hard 8 is pretty good too.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link

Last edited by LYU370; 11-22-2018 at 12:43 AM..
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Oohhh, thanks for the suggestion!!
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Timely post, going to Dallas in 2 weeks.
DBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
crayman
Knows what a fatty is.

This place is good. Celina Texas

https://tendersmokehousebbq.com/
crayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Hard 8 is pretty good too.
I love Hard 8. My only problem is every time I get up to the pit and start telling them what I want, my eyes are always bigger than my stomach.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

I'm a fan of Hutchins in McKinney (they also have one in Frisco but haven't been there).

https://hutchinsbbq.com/

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
I'm a fan of Hutchins in McKinney (they also have one in Frisco but haven't been there).

https://hutchinsbbq.com/
I've been to Frisco. Largely the same excellent quality. The one thing I remember being different is that there are no combo plates (2 meat +2 sides for example). Everything is a à la carte. Luckily, they do offer the AYCE.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
Brought my wife and kids back to Dallas for Thanksgiving with family. We moved away long ago, in 2004, when Dallas BBQ places primarily were small chains, for the most part “meh.” Had to drive to Fort Worth, other outlying cities, or best of all, Central Texas, for really great Texas ‘que.

Nonetheless, after flying in last night, I had to find some BBQ for lunch today. I had heard about this place

a couple years ago. Easy to access, one block off I35, the outside looked like a traditional Texas BBQ joint:

We visit Dallas a few times per year, so I knew about the resurgence of Texas BBQ throughout the state in the past 5-10 years. But I was unprepared for Slow Bone. Absolutely off the charts.

My kids said lunch was a religious experience — I found it just as good as any I’ve had in Central Texas. The meats were unbelievable and the sides were great. And super-friendly staff.

What other Dallas BBQ places do folks recommend? I know about Pecan Lodge and Lockhart Smokehouse, any others we should try while here? We have until Sun.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I had never heard of this place but after your review I decide to go check it out.

I ordered two types of sausage,
Chicken
Ribs
Brisket.

I will say this is the best BBQ Ive had in Dallas.

Actual Smokey aroma that a lot of the others don't have.

Ribs. Excellent. Savory not sweet which is exactly how I cook mine. Very good tenderness. Just a little salty but not bad at all.

Chicken. Again juicy and tender. Nice smoke flavor.savory not sweet.

Sausages: brilliant. Simply delious.

Brisket: Im no fan of brisket(it doesn't have flavor without sauce)
Their brisket was really good, but it was still the least interesting meat of all. Not enough flavor and as always the flat is too lean and the point is too fat. But, people who like brisket will love their brisket.

Sauce: very interesting. I appreciated that it was not syrupy sweet like other sauces but I think it could have used just a little more sweet
Old 11-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Thanks! I may be getting down there in a few weeks to visit? Will have to check it out