MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pecan Hulls

I have discovered a large source of pecan hulls while I was out looking for sources of pecan wood. Has anyone ever smoked with the hulls? Figured I would wrap 'em in foil packs and treat them like the little chips of wood you can buy at the grocery store.
I am looking for a little input from my brethren in smoke before I head down the path.
I will probably give them a try early next week on some ribs.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

Yes, I've used pecan shells. They work great. Treat 'em like wood chips. I often get people to save pecan shells for me at Christmas time.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

The hulls are somewhat spongy and from what I've read, make for a bitter smoke. The shells, on the other hand, make for good fuel for a foil smoke bomb.
The hulls for some reason give off a dark, greenish smoke that is not very good. It may be because the hulls contain a good amount of sap/oil in them that doesn't really dry out or season away like it does in the wood itself.

By hull do you mean the casing that surrounds the pecan nut or the hard pecan shell?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

There were some interesting observations in this thread by n8man...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74392
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
ThunderDomeBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I thought about this last night while eating pistachios

Any input on pistachio shells?
ThunderDomeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
I have discovered a large source of pecan hulls while I was out looking for sources of pecan wood. Has anyone ever smoked with the hulls? Figured I would wrap 'em in foil packs and treat them like the little chips of wood you can buy at the grocery store.
I am looking for a little input from my brethren in smoke before I head down the path.
I will probably give them a try early next week on some ribs.
Hulls, or shells?

If shells, please, do tell (the source).
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderDomeBBQ View Post
I thought about this last night while eating pistachios

Any input on pistachio shells?
I've tossed pistachio, walnut, filbert, and almond (Christmas time nut mix they sell) and even sunflower seed shells onto the grill for quick smoke and while they burn up quickly made for some nice smoke for grilling.
Also, in the thread referrenced by Guerry, you will notice that even when the hulls were burned in that basket and plenty of air, he still said they had an unpleasant odor. You will multiple that odor when putting them in foil cause they will burn much slower and longer and the smoke comes out very dense, acrid, and unpleasant. In large part, because the husk contains a great deal of oil during the time on the tree and that oil never really dries out completely.
I think I read that they don't even like to use them as fertilizer because that high oil content isn't good when released in the soil and absorbed by the roots.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Bulverde
Knows what a fatty is.

Saltlick Barbecue Rest. down here in Texas uses pecan "shells" (not hulls) when they hold the meat before serving. The shells are soaked and thrown on wood coals in an open pit. Those shells seem to put out a whole lot of smoke!

Also, they use Southern Pride's in the back for their main cook, in which they use pecan wood and oak combination ... and yes, I do know this for a fact.

Bulverde
Bulverde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
comfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
The hulls are somewhat spongy and from what I've read, make for a bitter smoke. The shells, on the other hand, make for good fuel for a foil smoke bomb.

My bad. I thought "hull" was another word for "shell."

--frank in Wilson, NY

Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

logs baby

Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfrank View Post
My bad. I thought "hull" was another word for "shell."

--frank in Wilson, NY
No bad done at all Frank. I was just trying to addess the thread title. I wasn't trying to correct you or anything. You use the shells, then, right? They do make for some nice smoke. Some nurseries even sell them as mulch. That would be one way to aquire them.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
infantry66

most processing nut houses will let you take all the shells you want or at least the one down here will saves them from having so much trash

Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

wow ... hulls or shells? I thought what was left behind after you got the nut out was call the hull. But after reading nateman's thread they I understand the difference. These are shells.

Lake Dogs I will lt ya in on the source after I work out th pricing. I am a little afraid if we get too many folks trying to source shells through him he might decide to jack the price. I will lt ya know next week. I promise.

Thanks guys for all the input and advice and of course the education too!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
big range bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

After reading a thread about 2 weeks ago I tried pecan shells and loved it. I throw a few hand fulls in almost everything we smoke or grill now. Never seen or heard of a foil smoke bomb though.
big range bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big range bbq View Post
After reading a thread about 2 weeks ago I tried pecan shells and loved it. I throw a few hand fulls in almost everything we smoke or grill now. Never seen or heard of a foil smoke bomb though.

Smoke bombs are foil packets of chips or sawdust or shells etc that you drop on your coals.