My first batch of converts... sorry no pics.

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Wasn't my intent... really.

Was tasked to have a small taste test sampling for an upcoming wedding. Have developed a few North Carolina vinegar sauces with various levels of intensities.

Convert #1 was the requestor herself - who is a self-confessed BBQ snob that couldn't tolerate the local restaurant's attempt at bbq. That changed once she saw my smoker churning sweet blue and smelled the irresistible aromas. Then it was another round of oohs, ahhhs, and OMG once she tasted the pulled pork chunks with the sauces I developed.

The kick of it... the second sampling was in a restaurant.... her choice.
Kinda felt a little ethically tacky bringing prepared food to a restaurant.

The waitress serving us was a confirmed lover of South Carolina (mustard) sauce and wasn't too keen on N. Carolina sauce. However her own nose betrayed her once the lid was opened (convert #2). Once she tasted the pork with my hotter sauce.... she asked for my business card - which I had a few available. Was asked how much bbq can I do? Told her my biggest pit (Lang 84) is nearly 10 feet long and is transportable to onsite catering.

Wasn't long before a nearby table was informed about my bbq - who they were quickly asking if I do brisket... to which quickly acknowledged.
They have been trying to find decent brisket like back home ... in TEXAS!!! Our waitress handed her my card. :becky:

[Edit: This story is the direct side-effect of the knowledge base compiled by the BBQ Brethren :thumb:]

Last edited:
Congrats, Bandit! :-D

It is amazing how people react to decent BBQ. I am cooking for a Boy Scout gathering next month (about 50 people.) Why? My son had a friend over... and when his friend's dad came to pick him up we were eating ribs. The dad tasted one rib - and asked me to cook for his get-together!

One rib (and it wasn't even my best effort either!)

Just let the food do the talking brother - everything else will fall in place! :clap2:

Awesome. I have a chiropractor that's a, gasp, vegetarian. The only meat he's eaten in 30 years is my bbq. Loves our brisket.

Well I am close enough. And I'm becoming a borderline vegetarian over here. You need to convert me back to reason, Bob! :becky:

Back