MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default My YS 640 rocks!!

Well, I'm 2 for 2. My first cook was a spiral cut honey glazed ham that my wife said was my best yet. Now I hit it out of the park with tritip, grilled veggies in SOW marinade, burgundy mushrooms, and chocolate pudding cake. The wife said it was the best meal so far. I also did a double batch for the neighbors as they gave me their old trampoline for the grandkids that we are raising. I have grilled tritip before, but this time I smoked it at 250 to 120, cranked her up then seared it up up to 130. Really easy to do with the 640 and the grill grates.

A shout out has to go to Andy G. for the recipes and to Ron-O for the advice.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

That is the next thing on my wishlist. I think it's gonna be a wait though. Glad to hear you're lovin' it.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Aw, com' on. You know I can't read. I want pictures!

Of the pit at least.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Bigdog

Sorry, no pics. And yes, you gotta get a 640 Gore. It took a lot of convincing but I have made the wife a believer. I still love the MOAB but it is a PITA to get fired up. The 640 takes a flick of the on switch and a push of the on button, and ya, make sure that there are pellets in the hopper.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I'm ordering mine in a month and I'm going crazy. Hearing your success story only makes me more excited and more antsy.

Glad you are liking it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
I'm ordering mine in a month and I'm going crazy. Hearing your success story only makes me more excited and more antsy.

Glad you are liking it.
Have you ever attended one of the cooking classes at ATBBQ?
Smoke on Brother KC

Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

What pellets (make and flavor) did you use and which firmware are you running? Would love to hear more about your YS640 experiences. I agree YS640 is a winner. Six top 8 finishes in eight comps for pork. Also cooked killer wings, turkey, and whole chicken on it for fun at home. My wife basically does not eat meat except for white meat chicken. I cooked chicken breasts on the yoder that my wife says were the most moist and flavorful chicken breasts shes ever eaten. Yoder FTW.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Have you ever attended one of the cooking classes at ATBBQ?
I have not been there at all yet. It's about a five hour drive from here so it's tough just to drop in. I would like to go there though and I'm sure the classes are good. Who teaches them?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds awesome. I would love a Yoder.
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
What pellets (make and flavor) did you use and which firmware are you running? Would love to hear more about your YS640 experiences. I agree YS640 is a winner. Six top 8 finishes in eight comps for pork. Also cooked killer wings, turkey, and whole chicken on it for fun at home. My wife basically does not eat meat except for white meat chicken. I cooked chicken breasts on the yoder that my wife says were the most moist and flavorful chicken breasts shes ever eaten. Yoder FTW.
BBQ Delight pecan and cherry 50/50 mix and whatever is the latest firmware as it has a born on date of 9/17/12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
I have not been there at all yet. It's about a five hour drive from here so it's tough just to drop in. I would like to go there though and I'm sure the classes are good. Who teaches them?
Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels and I am his sous chef and pit bitch. The reason I ask is that we have had guys from Nebraska attend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM600 View Post
Sounds awesome. I would love a Yoder.
Yes you would but UK shipping would be rough.
Smoke on Brother KC

Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels and I am his sous chef and pit bitch. The reason I ask is that we have had guys from Nebraska attend.
It's not out of the question by any means, but just tough with two young children and my wife and I work odd schedules.

It is something I will follow on the ATBBQ site and see if one would motivate me to make the drive. Don has been great to talk to and I'd like to meet and thank him in person for all of his help.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
A shout out has to go to Andy G. for the recipes and to Ron-O for the advice.

Anything to help a Brother!

Well...

Almost anything...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Bludawg

What happens if the power goes out?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Bonkers789
Knows what a fatty is.

Easy a deepcycle battery and a power inverter
Bonkers789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Show me smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I agree I bought mine from the Rep at the KCBS banquet...they even dropped it off on their way back. Cooks great I have had zero problems, I did upgrade the whimpy wheels and casters that it came with.
Show me smoke is offline   Reply With Quote