How long does a packer last?

ushi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, I bought a packer brisket about 2 weeks ago. However between work, crap weather, and a dirty pit, I haven't gotten around to Q'ing it. I am planning on tonight or tomorrow, IF it's still good. Is it?

I heard they keep awhile.....

2 weeks without freezing it might be pushing it. Only thing I can say is go by smell.

2 Weeks without freezing, Chunk it. It ain't worth the stomach ache.:icon_sick

It really depends on if it was aged when you got it and if the cry-o-vac is still good. Many people wet age brisket 40-50 days, so if it was fresh when you got it and the cry-o-vac is still good (no holes) then you are fine. The trick is knowing how fresh it was when you got it. Most grocery stores will probalby be pretty fresh. A meat shop might age it ahead of time. I agree with BadBoysBBQ check the smell. Aged meat will have a pungent smell but not rotten.

If it was cryo-vaced and it has been kept below 40* the whole time it aint even ready yet!:wink:

sounds good guys. I'll give it a good whiff then.

thanks.

Before cooked- I concer with the smell test.

After cooked- Never had one last more than a week due to rapid consumption.

So what would everyone say ... anything under a week ... don't worry about the smell test? Or just get in the habit of always giving it the smell test?

So what would everyone say ... anything under a week ... don't worry about the smell test? Or just get in the habit of always giving it the smell test?

Biff it is a good Idea to get in the habit of examining your meat each and every time you open a package.
You should, look, feel, and smell all the product you cook. Doing so will give you a better understanding of what your cooking, and you will develope a "feel" for good quality verses not so good.
Also you will know what good fresh meat should smell like, so you will know when you hit a bad piece.

FOR YOUR BRISKIT, ushi , a couple of weeks in a decent fridge should do no harm, unless it was over the hill to begin with.

So, I bought a packer brisket about 2 weeks ago. However between work, crap weather, and a dirty pit, I haven't gotten around to Q'ing it. I am planning on tonight or tomorrow, IF it's still good. Is it?

I heard they keep awhile.....

If its cro-vaced then it can go for a long time, much more that two weeks. For all those who would throw it away after only a couple weeks please let me know where you live and I will take it off your hands. Now if we are talking pork or chicken, thats a different story.

If you open the brisket and its got a green tinge to it and strong smell although beef can have a strong smell and its feel is slimy even after rinsing it good, then I would say its done went over the hill. But if you have dogs you could cut it up and boil with a little salt and feed it to them so its not a total wast.
Dave

If its cro-vaced then it can go for a long time, much more that two weeks. For all those who would throw it away after only a couple weeks please let me know where you live and I will take it off your hands.
Yep - If you live closer to Oz than Missouri send it my way.

Back