Need help with Vacuum Packer

Bartkowiakj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My wife wants a vacuum packer for Christmas. I dont know the first thing about them but I know each of you guys do. Can you help me? What should I look for and what brand would you recommend? Should I buy it online or locally? I can foresee using it for leftover BBQ if she lets me. Looking forward to hearing from you and "Thank You" sincerely.

Subscribed!

I can't offer insight as I have been tossing around the idea of picking one up. I wouldn't use if very often so have been tempted more than once at the cheap Rival brand at Wal-Mart.

It really depends on your budget. The Foodsaver brand is a good general purpose unit and is typically available at department sores or at the warehouse clubs. The warehouse clubs, Sam's in particular, usually have a bundle that comes with an assortment of bags.

Also, Foodsaver routinely runs sales online that can be a good deal.

If you have a bigger budget, and want to be able to vac-u-suck larger items like whole slabs of ribs, tri-tips, rib roasts, etc., look at the Weston models (also sold by Cabelas). Cabelas runs sales once in a while.

I've been using a Food Saver for 10+ years and I have absolutely no complaints.

For me, the advantages are reusable bags - turn them inside out and place on top rack of dishwasher to clean. True vacuum sealing - it really sucks the air out and it stays out. Long lasting unit - I'm on my second one only because I wanted a feature my original one did not have. I gave my first one to a friend and it is still going strong!

The only negative is the bags can be expensive if you do not buy in quantity. I would not purchase the pre-made bags; buy the rolls and make your own.

We recently purchased a Food Saver and are happy with it. I wish I had gotten one a lot sooner.

I just bought a Foodsaver I saw advertised on one of those T.V. Infomercials early one morning. I went to the Foodsaver website and ordered mine online because I wanted some of the larger marinating containers and extra bags. All said and done my total came out to $249.00. I get weekly emails from Foodsaver now and they are offering a Starter package for less than $100.00. If you are a fisherman or hunter Bass Pro offers one that also lpugs into a Powerpoint or cigarette lighter for field dressing.

I got a food saver v2xxx last Christmas. Ive been happy with it and bags from ebay. If you sign up for the food saver mailing list, the email out some pretty amazing deals from time to time. I think it is the give away the vac sealer to get you to buy the bags marketing ploy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Pretty much what Ron L. said. What's your budget? The cabela's (weston) model is pretty heavy duty and will outlast you, likely. Probably 80% of us use the foodsaver brand though. They have pretty good warranty service. If you go to www.foodsaver.com and sign up for their email specials, you can get some pretty good deals on them.

I started out with a Seal A Meal. I recently got a FoodSaver and I am much happier with it.

I've been using a Food Saver for 10+ years and I have absolutely no complaints.

For me, the advantages are reusable bags - turn them inside out and place on top rack of dishwasher to clean. True vacuum sealing - it really sucks the air out and it stays out. Long lasting unit - I'm on my second one only because I wanted a feature my original one did not have. I gave my first one to a friend and it is still going strong!

The only negative is the bags can be expensive if you do not buy in quantity. I would not purchase the pre-made bags; buy the rolls and make your own.

+1 well said

I recently got another food saver, movers LOST my last one. Got the upright countertop model with marinade mode. Very happy!!

I've got a Foodsaver and couldn't be happier. I purchase the bags in rolls on ebay.

I've got the Weston Pro-2300. Love it, glad I spent the extra $$ on it. It was recommended to my by a fellow Brethren. You get what you pay for.

Another vote for the Foodsaver here, bought the starter kit and with discounts and coupons that I combined, I got mine for around $85. I originally got it for me for my Q, but now my wife loves it for her cupcakes as you can control the suction and not flatten them. The bags and rolls can be found practically everywhere as everybody else has stated.

To those of you with the Foodsaver-- have you had problems with malfunctions or ever need parts. I have heard that there is little to no support from Foodsaver and they often tell you to buy another machine. This is my only concern as it seems the majority of you recommend the foodsaver or as stated the higher priced Weston.
Thanks for all the input --you have been most helpful.

Foodsaver.
Get it at Costco.
I had one go bad after a year of use.
Costco gave me a new one.

Yep. Tried to buy a replacement gasket from Foodsaver and after multiple calls wound up just buying a new one. Been happy enough with replacement, though.

Bought a Foodsaver and it works just fine. If you go Foodsaver, whatever you do DON'T pay retail! After buying mine at Target and registering it online, I get at least one email a week for some sort of sale. A buddy of mine bought the same model I paid $140 for @ Target, for $75 and free shipping. Total kick in the stones.

Back