MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
Cmikes
Knows what a fatty is.

This is Corey with Fat Boys BBQ. One of the ideas of this format is to allow you to go back and rewatch as many times as you want and as Robby pointed out, if you buy the all access (which is all the meats) you can ask us as many questions as you want. I’ve been answering tons of private messages about tweaking my recipes/techniques to different types of smokers or bridging their technique to mine. I’ve been to a few in person classes and I think the line of communication is more open with the videos so far because it links us online.
Cmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Robby and Cmikes for your input on this subject. You all have definitely given me something to think about. I like the fact that you guys are available by video and by chat so that if we run into issue or questions we can get them resolved.

Are there any plans to keep the videos up to date? If they are updated will we need to purchase another set or would they be included in the price we already paid?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
Rescuesmokers
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Robby Royal
Default Video Updates - YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap0510 View Post
Thanks Robby and Cmikes for your input on this subject. You all have definitely given me something to think about. I like the fact that you guys are available by video and by chat so that if we run into issue or questions we can get them resolved.

Are there any plans to keep the videos up to date? If they are updated will we need to purchase another set or would they be included in the price we already paid?
Great question, that is the exact reason we have created BBQ Champs Academy Private Facebook pages, the only people who will have access on that page is customers that purchase the "All Access" package for a BBQ Champs pitmaster. If I change anything as far as recipes, sauces, injections, or techniques that work I will post videos on my Private BBQ Champs Academy Facebook page. I will also be going live during competitions from time to time on the private FB page during different processes or even to maybe give the customer exactly what they want to see about a particular technique. Building turn in boxes and so on. That way we are always giving you our latest information. The customer also has 24 access to that private page to watch videos as much as they want! I hope this helps to answer your question!
Thanks,
Robby
Rescue Smokers
Rescuesmokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #19
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Absolutely no way I'd pay that price for an online, pre-recorded class. For just a little more you could go to an actual class and see it all done right in front of you, answer every question and taste the end product and the tenderness. Which is in the end what matters and an online video cannot provide.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #20
Rescuesmokers
Found some matches.

Default Benefits Both Ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Absolutely no way I'd pay that price for an online, pre-recorded class. For just a little more you could go to an actual class and see it all done right in front of you, answer every question and taste the end product and the tenderness. Which is in the end what matters and an online video cannot provide.
Benefits Both Ways without a doubt. I personally teach two live classes per year. I can see the argument as to which is best either way. I agree with being able to taste and feel proper tenderness at a live class is great, but going to a class can easily cost two to three times what the online classes costs. With class entry, travel (airline or fuel costs), meals, two nights in a motel can run that cost way up. I have had folks come to middle Georgia from California, Canada, New York, and so on...with their round trip airline cost, rental car, and two nights motel the cost was easily in the $2000 range.
I think the Tell All video classes have added benefits also with being able to watch the processes over and over as much as you want. It's very hard for students at live classes to take the notes they need while at the same time watching everything that's going on. Then every time you can't remember something you have to contact the pitmaster that did the class. It can easily take a couple of days to get that detail communicated, that's where I see online classes having a huge advantage. With the high deff 4K video used in the BBQ Champs Academy classes, you can literally see the desired tenderness of the products. Taste, well that's a different story for sure. If you use exactly what the pitmaster does in the videos you will get that taste in the end to know what he or she desired.
I addition one of the great things about BBQ Champs Academy videos is that Mike Steele, the founder of BBQ Champs is right there asking those questions for you. Is it exact, probably not but in advance each of us made up a long list of questions that are asked in live classes and Mike does a great job of asking those at the right times.
Thank you for your thoughts and have a great night.
Kind regards,
Robby
Rescue Smokers

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #21
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll have to agree with being able to re-watch the videos as needed. I took a class in person about 4 years ago and to this day I wish I could see a couple things done again. It's one thing to have something described to you but to see it close up is great.

I think BBQ classes are a little different for everyone, for some - especially beginners it becomes their bible on how they do everything, for experienced cooks it can be a new twist on something they already do or a recipe they never imagined would/could work. Quite often people will combine what they learned to what they already know and do.. which is probably the best takeaway IMO.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 04:32 AM   #22
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuesmokers View Post
Benefits Both Ways without a doubt. I personally teach two live classes per year. I can see the argument as to which is best either way. I agree with being able to taste and feel proper tenderness at a live class is great, but going to a class can easily cost two to three times what the online classes costs. With class entry, travel (airline or fuel costs), meals, two nights in a motel can run that cost way up. I have had folks come to middle Georgia from California, Canada, New York, and so on...with their round trip airline cost, rental car, and two nights motel the cost was easily in the $2000 range.
I think the Tell All video classes have added benefits also with being able to watch the processes over and over as much as you want. It's very hard for students at live classes to take the notes they need while at the same time watching everything that's going on. Then every time you can't remember something you have to contact the pitmaster that did the class. It can easily take a couple of days to get that detail communicated, that's where I see online classes having a huge advantage. With the high deff 4K video used in the BBQ Champs Academy classes, you can literally see the desired tenderness of the products. Taste, well that's a different story for sure. If you use exactly what the pitmaster does in the videos you will get that taste in the end to know what he or she desired.
I addition one of the great things about BBQ Champs Academy videos is that Mike Steele, the founder of BBQ Champs is right there asking those questions for you. Is it exact, probably not but in advance each of us made up a long list of questions that are asked in live classes and Mike does a great job of asking those at the right times.
Thank you for your thoughts and have a great night.
Kind regards,
Robby
Rescue Smokers
Maybe offer 50% discount on video if you attend the live class....best of both worlds.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 05:01 AM   #23
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Interesting idea. Bit pricey though for an online class.
Although to be able to access the info at home is nice. Plus no travel expenses. Plus no dragging my wife with me to help get notes. She would be happy.
If anyone tries these classes out let us know what you think.

I wish some classes would have either copies of notes already printed out to go along with it or a book or a website you get access too.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #24
Rescuesmokers
Found some matches.

Default BBQ Champs Reviews Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Interesting idea. Bit pricey though for an online class.
Although to be able to access the info at home is nice. Plus no travel expenses. Plus no dragging my wife with me to help get notes. She would be happy.
If anyone tries these classes out let us know what you think.

I wish some classes would have either copies of notes already printed out to go along with it or a book or a website you get access too.
I agree Rusty Kettle, I have attached a link below to the BBQ Champs Academy Facebook Reviews page that you referenced above. I do have digital handout available with recipes, cooking processes, and many, many turn in box pics.
Truly appreciate your input!
Robby
Rescue Smokers

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bbqchamp...=page_internal

Old 08-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #25
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I'll have to agree with being able to re-watch the videos as needed. I took a class in person about 4 years ago and to this day I wish I could see a couple things done again. It's one thing to have something described to you but to see it close up is great.

I think BBQ classes are a little different for everyone, for some - especially beginners it becomes their bible on how they do everything, for experienced cooks it can be a new twist on something they already do or a recipe they never imagined would/could work. Quite often people will combine what they learned to what they already know and do.. which is probably the best takeaway IMO.
This is actually what I am hoping to accomplish in that I take what I already know, and has gotten the occasional call, and add to it. There is something that I am missing and I am hopeful that the videos could provide me with what I am missing.
The biggest issue in my opinion that I am having is achieving the correct tenderness. When I nail the tenderness I have gotten a call. The problem is that hitting the correct tenderness seems to be hit or miss with the majority of the time being a miss.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
This is actually what I am hoping to accomplish in that I take what I already know, and has gotten the occasional call, and add to it. There is something that I am missing and I am hopeful that the videos could provide me with what I am missing.
The biggest issue in my opinion that I am having is achieving the correct tenderness. When I nail the tenderness I have gotten a call. The problem is that hitting the correct tenderness seems to be hit or miss with the majority of the time being a miss.

I know what you mean.. for me to nail my tenderness, I have to be really consistent in maintaining certain temps and timing. One of these is missing you can end up being too under or over.. fortunately here is TX where IBCA is most dominant it's better to be a little over than under. Judges use a plastic fork and knife to sample. I've found myself adding time to my timelines this past year.. it hasn't hurt me any
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #27
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
You aren't going to learn to achieve the correct tenderness watching an online video. But you can get that by going to one of the classes offered from some of the top cooks in the country and actually feeling it with your own hands and tasting it.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #28
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
You aren't going to learn to achieve the correct tenderness watching an online video. But you can get that by going to one of the classes offered from some of the top cooks in the country and actually feeling it with your own hands and tasting it.
The videos I would think would put you at least in the ball park and few a tweaks I would think that eventually I could nail it or get closer. Plus I do have an advantage in that I live in Ga. and have competed again Robby. Maybe just maybe he would be nice enough to help me out in person as well.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
Cmikes
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
The videos I would think would put you at least in the ball park and few a tweaks I would think that eventually I could nail it or get closer. Plus I do have an advantage in that I live in Ga. and have competed again Robby. Maybe just maybe he would be nice enough to help me out in person as well.
I can’t speak on behalf of Robby’s videos, but my videos go into a great detail about proper tenderness of each cut and I took steps to try and show you visually what to expect. I’ve been to a handful of in person classes and I can tell you that what you get at an in person class where there cooking for 35-40 people to have a bite doesn’t always give you the best representation of what the cook is going after.
Cmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #30
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Malcom Reed's free videos will get you in the ballpark too. If I'm paying $600 I'm not doing it to get "in the ballpark" of tenderness. I'm looking to learn to nail it perfectly. Every time.

Last edited by tduffy; 08-29-2019 at 11:10 AM..
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote