Royal Oak

What Royal Oak product are you asking about? They make a few.

I've used their lump charcoal in the red bag and haven't had many issues. Once in a while I find a rock, but that's pretty typical of a lot of lump charcoal.

I like it for the price, but I don't get nearly as long of cook times compared the Wicked Good. That being said, WG is like 3 times the price of RO.

I've been using B&B for years, and am a big follower of the Naked Whiz website and their reviews. I finally found some of the Royal Oak Red bag made in the USA last Friday at a Wally World close to my house. I bought 8 bags and fired up my Lang Sunday. It was easier to manage the 10 pound bags, and it was a nice hot fire, and I may have seen a slightly longer burn time, but nothing that really jumped out at me. With that said, I'll use it if I can find it.

I use RO lump in the big red bag quite a lot. I like it. Good stuff.

AND since I can get the giant bag at RD for pretty cheap I can't complain about the price either.

Use the lump all the time - once in a while I get a rock, but nothing unusual. We like it.

RO makes the lump sold as Big Green Egg lump. They also use the best pieces for BGE... so, it does cost more.

I've only been doing this for about a month, and only have a little more than 19 hours in on the smoker. That said, I've fired up my Keg several times now, and I'm still on the same first load of RO lump I started with. I've got nothing else to compare it to, but I can't say I've had any problems with it, and it's been easy to work with. I don't think I can ask for more than that. :wink:

I think it's good workhorse kinda stuff - good price, no issues, easy to get. I use it a lot - pretty much my go-to lump.

I've been using RO Briquettes the last 2-3 time I've smoked or grilled & it seemed to do well. I didn't really notice much difference between RO & Kingsford, except price.

RO red is the most consistent and available lump in my area that I know of. I believe they also make the GFS black bag lump, and as others have said, they make the BGE brand coal.

When I first bought my egg, I bought the BGE lump from the place I bought my egg, but noticed 2 issues...1, it was WAY too expensive, and 2, it had an odd smell, one that also gave everything I cooked a strong flavor, not bad nescessarily, but powerful. I believe it is the same lump as RO markets in the blue bags, normally for export to Canada I think. But I'm not 100% sure.

All in all, RO red is my go to most of the time. Many of the other brands I see on the Naked Wiz site and here are not available in my area

This was my trip to RD last month :becky:

6534891439_b3cf866129_z.jpg

We did the same thing last month, Tim. And our trunk looked pretty much just like your photo. We bought every bag they had to get us through the winter. But this RO lump seems to last forever in my Keg. I just close the vents when the cook is done, and clean out the ash and fire it up for the next one. Haven't reloaded yet. :thumb:

Restaurant depot? ive heard this mentioned on this site before; sounds like heaven to me.

Back