MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Rub My Butt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Scheduling help needed

My 12 year old son as part of his Home Ec class is participating in the Cattlewomans Assoc. Beef Cook-Off. He decided to cook a brisket. We went and he picked out a beautiful 11.6 lb Excel brisket.

Now, he knows how he is going to rub it and going to cook at 250* in his UDS. The scheduling problem comes in because he gets on the bus to go to the judging Tuesday@7:00 A.M.

Monday is a school day and he is too young to do an overnighter with school the next day, church is on Sunday, So...we are thinking, cook Saturday afternoon thru Sunday morning, take it off when done approx. 15-17 hrs later. Wrap in foil pan with broth put in fridge until Tuesday morning about 5 A.M. warm in oven to 170* slice and deliver.

Does this sound like a workable plan?? YOUR input is greatly appreciated.

I am trying to stay completly out of the prep, cook, and serve on this one.
Rub My Butt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like that will work for your schedule.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Bikini BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh boy that does sound llike a challenge. It looks like that'll work, but when you put it in the fridge try using a "large" zip-lock bag to contain moisture & smell. Then to reheat use oven or if your ambitious enough, you drop that bag in a HUGE pot of almost boiling water (make sure bag is sealed good) to warm it up.
Good luck and post pics when done !
Bikini BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

im assuming you dont wrap your briskets due to the 15-17 hr cook on a 11 lb brisket at 250. but you could smoke it monday after school wrap it at 150 deg put in oven in time for bed wrapped in a pan and moniter internal with a wireless or wired probe at 225 deg. start at 5pm done about 5 am tues morn and fresh. your above method would work to, but we all know fresh que is best.

p.s. and just in case i get hate mail. wrapped in the oven is the same as wrapped in a smoker.
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Have you considered a hot and fast cook? I did a 14.5 pounder in my UDS las week in 5 hours at 325. I wrapped when the internal temp hit 165. It turned out really good.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Rub My Butt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well, thanks everybody for the advice. He took third in the junior division with $20.00 prize money.

The judges were raving on the taste and a couple said it was the best they had ever had. Didn't know at the time but the way the recipe is written factors in so next year we need to be more specific, not "cover with salt".

He is tickled and can hardly wait till next year.

Having problem with the pics but we have a few.
Rub My Butt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like fun. I went to the Alabama State Jr. Cattlemans cookoff one year (1984 or 1985?). Won the County, but didn't place at state. I made Beef Stroganaff. Had a great time.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote