MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I plan on being a complete jackass next year. Time for a change.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
I stopped competing for a year or two because in my opinion all the fun and friendships had go away. With that said I saw this weekend in libertyville these things that made me want to compete again.
Someone lend a team there very expensive generator so that would have good power.
I saw people lending spices to some who needed it.
I saw someone fetch water for someone who needed it
I saw people mentoring.
I saw someone make enuff coffie for every. Even though there pot died.
I saw folks out and talking and laughing again.
I think bbq might be going back to fun again so are y'all seeing many the same thing?
Pretty much the norm out here in PNWBA land...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

It was the camaraderie I witnessed, and read about here, that really got me wanting to compete. I am looking forward to my first event in the spring!!
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
chambersuac

Um...Billy, I love ya and all, but did you think that the fun came back BECAUSE you left??????

Just kidding. Just kidding.

Yeah, the competition guys are mostly top notch and friendly - and all are generous.

Welcome back to the competition scene, brother.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

While this was our rookie year, we've had nothing but GREAT experiences with fellow BBQ'ers... From helping us put up our EZ Ups to a neighboring team not only loaning us a missing ingredient and helping us park our trailer (Thanks Good Smoke ) to actually calling their spouse and having them bring the missing ingredient to the comp for us (Thanks Shelly @ Desperado's ); we've also had a team loan us a member to drive me to the ER when I sliced my leg open at the Taste of Country in Buffalo the morning of turn-ins so my husband could stay behind and continue to compete! (Thanks Noel and Kris! )

We in turn have tried to "pay back" this generosity by helping out others whenever we can by either giving them ingredients when forgotten, loaning a can opener or vegetable peeler or the use of our generator, and even helping out a team who wasn't sure how they were going to put together their presentation for a NEBS grilling entry - and then even loaned them the containers to pull it off.

The fact that there is this level of camaraderie at comps and no "Us" versus "Them" will continue to bring us back time and time again. Where else do the people you are competing against clap, yell and scream for you when you get your name called? It's truly amazing, and I say BBQ people are the best around.

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

that atmosphere at competitions is what really hooked us. Its hard to explain to others who havent competed. Competition BBQ is very competitve but at the same time any one would do anything for anyone else. At awards everyone is praying they get a call but just as happy when someone else gets one. Like nothing I've experienced before
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl14226 View Post
a neighboring team not only loaning us a missing ingredient and helping us park our trailer (Thanks Good Smoke )
That is amazing, considering when Good Smoke tried to "help" us like that, we sent 'em to the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl14226 View Post
also had a team loan us a member to drive me to the ER when I sliced my leg open
Sounds like it could be a passive-agressive revenge slicing. Was Good Smoke involved?

(Good Smoke are a class act, even put up with me teasing Jon about his "incident".)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

Chris,

Yup - they are a class act... We love 'em!

OH - I heard about "the incident" with Jon... LOL He and I have agreed that two of the reasons competitive BBQ should be considered a sport is because (a) you can get injured and (b) there might be some running involved.

As far as my trip to the ER, my own team is to blame. Let's just say a can lid was not shoved into the empty can (as it should have been), and when I tried swinging the plastic garbage bag up and over my head - it made its presence known. Right into my left leg. Like a meat slicer on a pendulum. Good times. But – I went to the ER, got stitched up, and was back on site within 2 hours just in time to have a Jack shot, finish turn ins and even vend!

You may have heard my new nickname (given to me by Danielle)… “Toughest lady in BBQ”… Although I prefer “Tough as nails Jersey” (Thanks Mike!)

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote